Vinyl Liner

Jul 19, 2014
Yucaipa, CA
Moderator Note - Moved from here: So, how long will a vinyl liner inground last?

We replaced the liner in out pool 8/2011 and it already has a hole in 2 corners of the pool. It's not on the seam so the warranty doesn't cover it. The corners are not flush (it's a rectangular pool and the vinyl is rounded at the corners on the top) so there's air between the liner and the corner of the pool hole. Is this normal? We had a professional order, measure and install the liner. We had seen some in magazines and he said that we needed so many mils (I think we got 20 or 25 mils) so it wasn't the cheapest liner out there. We're very disappointed - it may not even last to the end of the season or into next year.

It varies a lot with quality of liner and how well balanced the pool chemistry is kept. My last liner turned out to be low quality junk, it was ordered in a rush after an off road side by side ATV ended up in the pool ripping a gash in the shallow end floor (ATV was just back from the shop and someone missed reinstalling a return spring for the throttle cable). That liner lasted only about 4 years, by contrast my current liner is just now starting to show its age at 12-13 years, and may get replaced this winter, but could probably last another 2-3 years, maybe more

Thanks edkerns and Isaac-1. I don't think anything is poking holes in the liner. The dogs don't go in there and there are seldom kids in the pool and when there is, they are closely watched. One day I was swimming in the pool and I swear the second hold just appeared out of nowhere. The corners where the track for the liner is have space where water could get in so I don't know if some water got behind there and pressured the liner. I have been concerned about the corners since the liner was installed due to the air between the liner and the pool wall and the space for water to get in. As far as chemistry we had all kind of problems from 8/11 to 7/14 when I joined here and found out my CYA was literally off the chart. Since 7/14 everything has been fine for the most part. The foam coves make sense. Bummer about the ATV! I would have expected some age about 12-13 years - definitely not 4! I guess when it gets beyond repair I will try to find another installer. We may even check into guniting it. The hole is there and the plumbing is there so I don't know what it would take but it's worth checking into.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.