Which Stenner should i purchase????

robaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2015
Glendale , Az.
Hello all.....I'm interested in automating my chlor. delivery...I just started BBB a few weeks ago and my pool has never looked better...i plan on using a Woods timer and a 15 gal. barrel...But a little unclear as to what pump i should purchase...As of now my CYA is at 80PPM..Which i plan on lowering as soon as it cools off...Keeping my FC at 6...and losing about 3-5 ppm/day...Would i be better with the 3 or 10 gpd model?? 25 or 100psi model?? Also do i need the check valve if i get the 100psi model...or just hook it up direct? Thanks!!

I'd recommend the 10gpd 100psi model. That gives you the most flexibility in dosing the bleach.

While technically you probably don't NEED the check valve, since it comes with it anyway you should install it. Besides, it has the tubing fitting on it.

I'd recommend the 10gpd 100psi model. That gives you the most flexibility in dosing the bleach.

While technically you probably don't NEED the check valve, since it comes with it anyway you should install it. Besides, it has the tubing fitting on it.
Can i hook it up without it...Just seems like another part i have to replace..when it clogs up...I also have no place to put a tee in my return line and a little leery on tapping the side of the 2" pvc...I guess using the pump drain wouldn't be a good option as far as damaging the pump? Thx Bama..

You can't hook it up without the check valve unless you buy a duckbill fitting, and even with that you're going to have to drill and tap or install a reducing tee.

Drilling and tapping the PVC pipe is very easy to do and as long as you're careful the likelihood of messing it up is slim.

Without the check valve, and in case the tubing from the Stenner pump ruptures for any reason you may pump out of ton of pool water before you notice it. Get the 10 GPD 100 PSI fixed pump, use a good timer and use the check valve and you are good to go.

Here's a little info to chew on while you wait.
Based on my recent experience with my new 10gpd pump, I observed it would pump 1oz of liquid into a measured cylinder in about 50 seconds. This is slightly more than the calculated max flow of 0.89 oz per minute.
I ended up using a 1oz per minute rate. This should help you to decide how long the pump should run.

Also consider that this was measured with a new tube. As the tube ages it might reduce the flow a little.

Using your dimensions and given an average CYA of 35-40 you would need about 60oz of 8.25% to compensate for a normal 3-4 ppm daily loss to sunlight.
So, that's about 60 minutes of pump time. Using the woods timer, you could divide the run time into chunks across the pool pump run time for more of a constant level of chlorine across the day.

This is just random info spewed out while I'm eating lunch at my desk. Your mileage may vary. Good luck. :cool:

What about the Stenner SVP? It looks like a digitally controlled adjustment, so there's not clicking or wear parts due to adjustment (at least this is what I can gather from their website).

The biggest problem with the SVP-1 is the $600.00 price tag. And you'll still have to have a way to control it's run time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a little info to chew on while you wait.
Based on my recent experience with my new 10gpd pump, I observed it would pump 1oz of liquid into a measured cylinder in about 50 seconds. This is slightly more than the calculated max flow of 0.89 oz per minute.
I ended up using a 1oz per minute rate. This should help you to decide how long the pump should run.

Also consider that this was measured with a new tube. As the tube ages it might reduce the flow a little.

Using your dimensions and given an average CYA of 35-40 you would need about 60oz of 8.25% to compensate for a normal 3-4 ppm daily loss to sunlight.
So, that's about 60 minutes of pump time. Using the woods timer, you could divide the run time into chunks across the pool pump run time for more of a constant level of chlorine across the day.

This is just random info spewed out while I'm eating lunch at my desk. Your mileage may vary. Good luck. :cool:
Thx Rocketo...Very helpful info....Enjoy your lunch!! BTW...How did you tap into your return line?? Thinking of using a tee with 2 unions..I think i have enough room??

This is the one I got.

Stenner 45MPHP22 Single Head Fixed Output High Pressure Pump

I fired it up and tested it in water to see what the output was before the big install. My output was 2oz. per minute. I have my aqualink set for 32 minutes per day and it puts out right at 64oz. per day very accurately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.