Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Stenner should i purchase????

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Stenner should i purchase????

Hello all.....I'm interested in automating my chlor. delivery...I just started BBB a few weeks ago and my pool has never looked better...i plan on using a Woods timer and a 15 gal. barrel...But a little unclear as to what pump i should purchase...As of now my CYA is at 80PPM..Which i plan on lowering as soon as it cools off...Keeping my FC at 6...and losing about 3-5 ppm/day...Would i be better with the 3 or 10 gpd model?? 25 or 100psi model?? Also do i need the check valve if i get the 100psi model...or just hook it up direct? Thanks!!
    Location: Phx,Az. IG gunite Pool constructed 1993 14x28 Playpool 3.5'/5'/4' depth.. 11,400 Gallons Finish: Acrylic Plaster (Ultra Poz) Tiled waterline Pump: 3Hp Pentair IntelifloVS Filter: Pentair TR100 Sand 4.91 Fil. area 74 GPM...Barracuda suction side cleaner........

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which Stenner should i purchase????

I'd recommend the 10gpd 100psi model. That gives you the most flexibility in dosing the bleach.

While technically you probably don't NEED the check valve, since it comes with it anyway you should install it. Besides, it has the tubing fitting on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I'd recommend the 10gpd 100psi model. That gives you the most flexibility in dosing the bleach.

While technically you probably don't NEED the check valve, since it comes with it anyway you should install it. Besides, it has the tubing fitting on it.
    Can i hook it up without it...Just seems like another part i have to replace..when it clogs up...I also have no place to put a tee in my return line and a little leery on tapping the side of the 2" pvc...I guess using the pump drain wouldn't be a good option as far as damaging the pump? Thx Bama..
    Location: Phx,Az. IG gunite Pool constructed 1993 14x28 Playpool 3.5'/5'/4' depth.. 11,400 Gallons Finish: Acrylic Plaster (Ultra Poz) Tiled waterline Pump: 3Hp Pentair IntelifloVS Filter: Pentair TR100 Sand 4.91 Fil. area 74 GPM...Barracuda suction side cleaner........

4. Back To Top    #4

You can't hook it up without the check valve unless you buy a duckbill fitting, and even with that you're going to have to drill and tap or install a reducing tee.

Drilling and tapping the PVC pipe is very easy to do and as long as you're careful the likelihood of messing it up is slim.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Without the check valve, and in case the tubing from the Stenner pump ruptures for any reason you may pump out of ton of pool water before you notice it. Get the 10 GPD 100 PSI fixed pump, use a good timer and use the check valve and you are good to go.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok thx guys...ordered the woods hd outdoor digital timer...And the 10gpd 100psi stenner fixed rate

7. Back To Top    #7

What about the Stenner SVP? It looks like a digitally controlled adjustment, so there's not clicking or wear parts due to adjustment (at least this is what I can gather from their website).
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    What about the Stenner SVP? It looks like a digitally controlled adjustment, so there's not clicking or wear parts due to adjustment (at least this is what I can gather from their website).
    Thx...But i ordered already.....

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's a little info to chew on while you wait.
    Based on my recent experience with my new 10gpd pump, I observed it would pump 1oz of liquid into a measured cylinder in about 50 seconds. This is slightly more than the calculated max flow of 0.89 oz per minute.
    I ended up using a 1oz per minute rate. This should help you to decide how long the pump should run.

Also consider that this was measured with a new tube. As the tube ages it might reduce the flow a little.

Using your dimensions and given an average CYA of 35-40 you would need about 60oz of 8.25% to compensate for a normal 3-4 ppm daily loss to sunlight.
    So, that's about 60 minutes of pump time. Using the woods timer, you could divide the run time into chunks across the pool pump run time for more of a constant level of chlorine across the day.

This is just random info spewed out while I'm eating lunch at my desk. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
    20,000 gal IGV 18x36x6 with 4' radius, Pentair Ultra Flow 1hp, Pentair CC75 cartridge filter, Stenner 45MP2. Built 2003.

Chemistry teaches us that alcohol is a solution. That figures, as I have solved many of the world's problems while drinking!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    The biggest problem with the SVP-1 is the $600.00 price tag. And you'll still have to have a way to control it's run time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rocketo View Post
    Here's a little info to chew on while you wait.
    Based on my recent experience with my new 10gpd pump, I observed it would pump 1oz of liquid into a measured cylinder in about 50 seconds. This is slightly more than the calculated max flow of 0.89 oz per minute.
    I ended up using a 1oz per minute rate. This should help you to decide how long the pump should run.

Also consider that this was measured with a new tube. As the tube ages it might reduce the flow a little.

Using your dimensions and given an average CYA of 35-40 you would need about 60oz of 8.25% to compensate for a normal 3-4 ppm daily loss to sunlight.
    So, that's about 60 minutes of pump time. Using the woods timer, you could divide the run time into chunks across the pool pump run time for more of a constant level of chlorine across the day.

This is just random info spewed out while I'm eating lunch at my desk. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
    Thx Rocketo...Very helpful info....Enjoy your lunch!! BTW...How did you tap into your return line?? Thinking of using a tee with 2 unions..I think i have enough room??

12. Back To Top    #12

If you have an existing chlorine feeder you can usually unscrew one of the plugs and connect it there. That's the easiest way.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    If you have an existing chlorine feeder you can usually unscrew one of the plugs and connect it there. That's the easiest way.
    No i dont...Just have the pump drain...And from what i read its not good to inject upstream...Have to figure something out ..not to thrilled on tapping the side of the 2" pvc....

14. Back To Top    #14

robaz I was a little concerned at first also so I practiced on a spare PVC pipe. It turned out to be REALLY easy. Best to tap at a connection of 2 pipes ( thicker wall area ) that way you can have a deeper thread to screw into.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

15. Back To Top    #15

This is the one I got.

Stenner 45MPHP22 Single Head Fixed Output High Pressure Pump

I fired it up and tested it in water to see what the output was before the big install. My output was 2oz. per minute. I have my aqualink set for 32 minutes per day and it puts out right at 64oz. per day very accurately.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

16. Back To Top    #16

Thx for your input guys.....