Suntrek Solar Panels

All I can tell you is that their name has came up a few times, but as far as I know no regular posters here have them. I just took a quick look at their web site, and they seem to be an anything and everything Solar company, meaning they do not specialize on pool solar heating, but also do photo voltaic (electric) solar panels, domestic water heating, etc. From what I saw on their web page, I could not say anything particularly good about them, but at the same time I could not say anything particularly bad either.

Being a solar consultant and integrator in Florida and having just given their installation manual an admittedly cursory look, I'm dubious as to whether we'd be able to pull a permit for this system here locally - which doesn't necessarily amount to worthwhile information... I'm unfamiliar with adhering any solar products to any kind of roof, and at first glance strapping the system down with its own tubing is not confidence inspiring.

I'm not a fan of mounting solar thermal (water heating) collectors with the headers running up the roof - we much prefer to run the collectors in 'portrait' orientation. That said, they are specific and accurate about the plumbing input needing to feed the bottom of the array and the outlet being plumbed from the top, opposite corner - regardless of the collectors' orientation. What little risk of the array 'short-cycling' (leaving some of the tubes [typically at the top] with inadequate water flow) in landscape orientation will be mitigated by proper plumbing.

One concern with landscape is the tubes running between the headers can droop over time. This can cause issues including leaks where the tubes join the headers and wear damage caused by the tubes rubbing against the roof, especially shingles or any other granular roof covering.

As a DIY project this is a very interesting product. Custom lengths, maximized roof area, extensive DIY instructions - if the price is right and they're standing behind it, sounds like it may be worth a shot! Be sure to work closely with them to design the system and discuss optimum flow rates. Especially if using a pyramid-type layout - the longer tubing runs between headers will likely flow more slowly than shorter runs.

Great feedback guys. I was turned on to them by a guy who does solar panel/system repair. Guy works on all types of panels and he said if he was installing solar heating for his pool these are the panels he'd use based on the calls he goes out on.

Company would design the system for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.