Pump presure increased after backwash on Hayward sand filter

Pool Amateur

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Central, NJ
My normal pressure after backwash is 14#, when I hit 17-18 pounds I usually backwash, however since I finished start up SLAM I have only Backwashed 1 other time in about 8 weeks (during slam backwashed frequently because of all the muck). So I hit 17#, during backwash and rinse pressure down to 13 -14 #, went back to filter pressure jumped to 19#, re backwashed and rinsed same thing. Laterals, sand and top half of multiport valve (integrated spider gasket) replaced at beginning of season. Any Ideas what the problem could be?

I trust the gauge (that is its only job) but first question / observation does it go to zero when the pump is turned off.

Next the pressure gauge is showing the pressure differential from the gauge to the end of the return at the pool (it would be zero there). So something is blocking the flow in that segment. That given my most likely suspect would be the multiport valve partially blocking the normal filter operation.

Do you always your valve in only clockwise or only counter clockwise when going from filter to backwash etc?

The gauge does go to zero when pump turned off, Also reads 13-14 PSI when in backwash or rinse as it always has. I always have turned this valve clockwise with pump off whenever moving to backwash or rinse. Gauge also replaced end of June 2015, Multiport top half is new June 2015, Laterals and sand new June 2015. The returns seem to be flowing water as previous I can see a little ripple or current 4-5 feet away from return. I guess my next move to take valve off and inspect. I only have a week or 2 before end of season for me as I live in NJ. But do not want to damage anything and easier to fix now rather than spring, I think. I am thinking a problem with the laterals, not terribly expensive but a pain to replace.

Ok, I am really stumped now. This increased pump pressure occurred when I had an algae bloom which I think was due to a solar cover, So the backwash was just before the slam and the pump was kept on for the slam except for daily maintenance, which would be 15 min. Passed the OCLT and CC>.5 and sparkling clear this AM so I stopped slam and turned off pump. Tonight I turned back on pressure back to 14.5 psi. It used to go all the way back to 14psi but I was SLAMMING the past 3 days so that would explain a .5 psi increase. But I have no idea why it went up or why it went back down. But I am not complaining.

Out of curiosity during your Slam were you using DE in your sand filter? If so that could have been the issue.

If you weren't using DE in there then maybe whatever was stuck causing the pressure to rise shifted, and fixed itself. :) Yelp, I like those kinds of repairs.

I'm pretty sure you meant CC<.5 ;) Have a wonderful night, and I'm glad you didn't have to take your pump apart with so little time left in the swimming season.

Great idea on DE but I was not using it. Also Yes CC<.5, got those arrows mixed up. Now that it is back to normal I am glad, my best guess is that something got caught in the after pump side of system and blocking some flow and the increased pressure was so the same volume could still run through post pump side of system. Or my new pressure gauge is defective. Just very curious it cleared itself after being off for 10 hours when of for 15 min. several times before did not. I did not know if this was a common occurrence as this is my 1st year. Anyway I only have another week or 2 left to the season. I will clean sand before start up in spring. Maybe modify plumbing. I want to add some sort of automatic chlorine feeder just not sure which one (SWG, Stener pump, etc.). This being my 1st season I am trying to learn as much as I can before buying something I will regret. Thanks for the input. Any further ideas appreciated.

I agree that something like that is probably what happened. I can't help on the preferred feeders because I personally don't use one. It's just as easy for me to do manual pours. Plus lol I'm too cheap to buy a auto feeder. Perhaps someone who has one can advise you better on whether they are worth the money, or not. I do know that a lot of folks have had a issue with their auto feeders being able to keep up with the demand need this year, and several have had algae blooms occur who have never had that issue before. (Is the feeders themselves the issue, the high heat levels, etc? I really can't say for sure what is the cause, and we may never know for sure, but I do know I've seen it quite a bit).

I too have only about 2 weeks left before shut down :( but at least next season will start out with a lot more knowledge, and understanding of what needs to be done than last season did. Have a wonderful day, and Yes keep striving to gain ALL the knowledge you can while here because I can't think of a better place to get it. :)

I have a small chlorine feeder, but my pool is indoor, so it runs about 2.5 hours at night to rise FC to 2.5-3 from 1-1.5. With an outdoor pool the chlorine pump should be able to keep up with the demand during the day. I remember when I took care of an outdoor pool couple years back, there was an automatic chlorine and acid feeder. The system was fully automatic and it was keeping both PH and FC in good levels. BUT, when the bather load increased and the weather was very hot, I had to shock the pool often and add stabilizer. After the management decided to turn over the pool care to Lifeguards on duty, in less then a week they created a green swamp, tenants called health inspector and she shut down the pool. It took those uneducated teen lifeguards (i assume they trusted the computer to do the work for them) about a week to get it back to normal.

So, in my opinion - chlorine feeder is a nice thing to have, but you still need to test it every day and add more chemicals as you need - manually! Also, try purchase the pump that is rated for bigger pool then yours. Maybe it will be enough to keep up with higher then usual demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.