Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to fight MOSQUITOS?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you do to fight MOSQUITOS?

Can't find standing water or breeding grounds, but they are tearing us up!
    What methods have you used with success around your pool area?
    20x35 IG Grecian Sport Pool (4' x 5 1/2' x 4')
    1000' Sandstone Stamped Cocete
    Hayward SWG, DE Filter & Pro Logic LED
    3 deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do you do to fight MOSQUITOS?

Have you checked your gutters for any standing water? This is an often-overlooked breeding ground. Any clogs in the downspouts will cause water to pool in the gutters and sit for quite a while. Had this happen at our former house.

If that checks out OK, you could always try some natural repellants such as these:

Here are more options: Eight Natural Mosquito Repellents

Other essential oils that make good mosquito repellents include Lemon Eucalyptus Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Rosemary Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Cedar Oil, Peppermint Oil, Clove Oil, Geranium Oil. You can mix these in with a carrier such as a thin oil, witch hazel, or (cheap) vodka. Plain water is not a good carrier since oil & water don't mix well. You can also apply these products to cotton balls and place them in a small wide-mouth jar or similar implement. I have done this with peppermint oil and it has definitely made a difference.

You could also run a fan (ceiling or directional) to create a draft that make it very difficult for mosquitos to land on you. Also try wearing bright colors. Dark colors make you look like foliage to mosquitos. Since most mosquitos do not like direct sunlight, they will seek shade.

If you live on a wooded lot and/or near a pond, you will always have more of a mosquito problem than those who live on an open lot away from any standing water. One of my friends lives on a wooded lot and you will get eaten alive, especially from late-afternoon through dusk. At my house (on an open lot with only one tree in the front yard), it is virtually a night & day difference.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

These have been very effective, for us:

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    These have been very effective, for us:

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/
    HOLY SMOKES! That's a lot of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Bodareville good tips. I find most plants don't work unless you crush and rub the leaves on you. Although, interesting read on catnip.

I'll check the gutters. I have a feeling its my neighbors, but we also have a wooded lot. I have sprayed off, cutter...8 week control. Doesn't work.
    Thanks.

I have looked at foggers too.
    3 deck jets

5. Back To Top    #5

You can go with Citronella torches (my favorite for the lighting, decent smell and the great way it works) they come in bamboo tall steak in ground types or my favorite is the smaller table top (sometimes metal) torches that just sits on the ground or a table, lemon grass plants or citronella plants (not as good as a torch but spaced around and area strategically, they can be a good all natural defense), propane mosquito magnet as already suggested (high up front cost but are able to do 1/2+ acre lots with just one unit and relatively effective), can of OFF or similar spray on bug deterrent (not really ideal for pool use) and the last one I know of is a home fogger. Similar to those used on the trucks that drive around spraying that fog mist to kill mosquito's. This is a smaller, electric version that is sold as most hardware stores. You just add the appropriate amount of the fog solution to the unit and then using a long extension cord you just fog your whole area. The problem we have had is that after the fogging, they mosquito's only stay gone for around half an hour.

The problem with using insecticides on your lawn or using a fogger is that you will be killing EVERYTHING around, including the good bugs and possibly nesting birds or snakes, yes there are good bugs/snakes too, lol.

Hope you were able to get an idea or two from our posts.
    My AG Frankenpool 16' / 6,041g
    Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix 1.5HP Pump
    Pentair 320 In-Line Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I've had good luck treating the yard once a month with this:
    http://www.spectracide.com/Products-...trate-RTS.aspx

Along with mosquitoes we have a boat load of small biting flies that tear us up in the evening. The Spectracide takes care of both.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I grow Mosquito Shoo around areas we hang out that aren't screened in. It's not a perfect solution, but it reduces the bugs hanging out in the area dramatically. Then you can do the more severe chemical solutions for the rest, but in smaller quantities.
    Pool, 11000 Gallon Gunite Pool, shallow ( < 5' deep ) including spa. Hayward 1750 Cartridge Filter. Pump is a single speed 2 HP Hayward Northstar. Polaris Caretaker 5 Zone Floor System. Pool ~ 8 years old. TF-100 Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ive had good luck with Dr T's mosquito granules. Totally safe to pets, kids and envoironment.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Ive had good luck with Dr T's mosquito granules. Totally safe to pets, kids and envoironment.
    That looks interesting, how long does it last on the lawn?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Our Orkin guy sprays the bushes and things around the yard. Not sure if it makes a difference, because he has done it from day one. We have very few biting, flying insects though, so I guess it must be doing something. Since our property has a creek and standing water all over the place and the backyard is pretty full off green stuff like bushes and ornamental grasses, etc.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

The instructions say to repeat the application in 30 days, but I go as long as 6 weeks before I notice the mosquitos starting to come back. Ive tried several of the safe granule type brands, and this one works great in my yard. It has a garlic odor when you first throw it out, but after a couple of hours, the odor is completely dissipated.

Ive been using it for 2 years now and Im sold on it. And its relatively inexpensive compared to lots of other methods of mosquito control.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

I had a mosquito magnet years ago, it never seemed to do all that much except burn up a tank of propane about every 2-3 weeks, then it was stolen out of my yard, which probably saved me money on wasted propane in the long run. Sure there would always be dead mosquitoes in the trap, but it only ever seemed to catch a small fraction of them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

The instructions say to repeat the application in 30 days, but I go as long as 6 weeks before I notice the mosquitos starting to come back. Ive tried several of the safe granule type brands, and this one works great in my yard. It has a garlic odor when you first throw it out, but after a couple of hours, the odor is completely dissipated.

Ive been using it for 2 years now and Im sold on it. And its relatively inexpensive compared to lots of other methods of mosquito control.
    Do you just throw on the ground, or target puddle areas? I don't have standing water, but curious.
    3 deck jets

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    I had a mosquito magnet years ago, it never seemed to do all that much except burn up a tank of propane about every 2-3 weeks, then it was stolen out of my yard, which probably saved me money on wasted propane in the long run. Sure there would always be dead mosquitoes in the trap, but it only ever seemed to catch a small fraction of them.
    It is important that they are placed in the correct location and dosed with the attractant. I've dumped a bag, literally full of nosee-ums, and it always has its share of mosquitoes.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

We just use the torches around the pool area. We have chickens that roam the yard, so I can't use chemicals.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

My GF has a fogger but now that someone mentioned things like butterflies and snakes I think that's a thing of the past. I like the snakes as they eat critters that tear up the lawn and garden and it's funny because I'm pretty sure their den is under the apron around the pool. Get a heck of a scare some mornings walking around the outside of the fence to fill the bird feeders and run across a big snake sunning itself !! Might have to go back to using tiki torches or try the Dr. T's granules mentioned above.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I was getting chewed up recently, and dabbed on little bit of lavender oil. I never got another bite after that.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

18. Back To Top    #18

just toss it around on the ground. Its not a poison, so targeting puddles is of no use with this stuff. Its a repellent made of garlic, lemonseed, and several other natural stuff that mosquitos dont like.

I just toss it on the ground all around the pool and patio where we hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by wxguy23 View Post
    Do you just throw on the ground, or target puddle areas? I don't have standing water, but curious.
    Divin Dave,

19. Back To Top    #19

I back up to a forest preserve which has a creek. I have a mosquito magnet Liberty which we used for several years. The last few years we have been using Mosquito Squad who comes out and sprays about once a month. It's works pretty well and about the same price as the mosquito magnet after the propane tank refills and baits that are used. I still have the magnet and will take it up to the Michigan UP when we build a cottage up there. For standing water we use the little doughnut baits in the water which you can buy on Amzon.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

20. Back To Top    #20

just toss it around on the ground. Its not a poison, so targeting puddles is of no use with this stuff. Its a repellent made of garlic, lemonseed, and several other natural stuff that mosquitos dont like.

I just toss it on the ground all around the pool and patio where we hang out.
    I may have to try this...
    3 deck jets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast