Issues with FAS-DPD test and Getting Pool Clear

Do NOT add stabilizer as that feeds ammonia.

A lot of times when there is ammonia you will see NO CYA and that is what tells us it might be ammonia.

Bleach or chlorine is the only thing that is going to beat this monster. I am SO sorry! :( Hit it hard and often!

If you want you can get an ammonia test kit from a pet fish store. It will not really matter when it shows ammonia as it is the same solution-----------bleach.

It Can Happen to Anyone - Zero Chlorine, CYA--Ammonia

Kim

Regarding CYA. I started at 0 and added enough liquid stabilizer to get it to 30. (This was several weeks ago before I realized i had a chlorine issue). When I test the black dot blurs, but doesnt disappear so I'm guessing that it's at 20-25. For what it's worth the pool store measured 40 yesterday.
Out of curiosity, isn't all this bleach raising the salt? And is that an issue?

- - - Updated - - -

We don't seem to be losing water as quickly since we've been running the pump 24/7. Another issue to sort out.

KIM Thank you for catching that. (I had no idea that it mattered). I removed the post entirely and put the reason on there as to not lead anyone else down the wrong road with an incorrect suggestion.

LHMN I'm sorry the suggestion in comment #40 that I made was Not the appropriate suggestion in your current situation. I apologize for any confusion it might have caused. Please follow the advice in comment #41 instead, and do NOT add any stabilizer at this time due to the possibility of ammonia.

As far as the salt that the chlorine is adding, it will be fine.

With the leak not occurring as much when the pump is running makes me wonder if you have a leak from your waste line which is what happened to me too. Mine was caused from the spider gasket on my multiport valve being bad.

Have a wonderful night.

Lhnm, you've had a lot of replies from several folks, so I don't want to add too much more to the thread other than a couple things. First, if you really do suspect there is an ammonia issue based on the products added previously and/or FC going to zero in the past, stick to the following which is fairly similar to what others prompted you to do several posts back:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

That process is very important to overtake the ammonia, and it must be done consistently in that order. As you've heard many times, continue to sweep & inspect the pool for any debris is key as well. I just wanted to pass that info along in hopes that it keeps you on-track so that you can reach a point where the FC remains predictable so you can continue the SLAM. I'll probably watch this thread from a distance, but there's a lot of good advice coming-in already, so you don't need another "spoon in the pudding". :) Hang in there, and good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.