Help! Trying to connect wires for Polaris booster pump

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
I was just out working on hooking up the electrical connections for my new Polaris booster pump (PB4-60) and am about to lose my mind trying to actually connect the two hot wires in the tight space and on the small nut-and-post at the terminals under the little access cover. Can I put a spade or round terminal connector on my black power wires to connect them to the terminals on the pump? Or do I absolutely have to get my wire attached via the nut and washer on the post at the terminals?

Specifically, there's a post on terminal 1 and terminal 6 (where the two hot wires go - I've got 220v on my equipment pad) with a nut and washer on it, and then a couple of spade connector posts also (one of which is taken up by a wired for the 220v configuration). My problem is this - the posts with the nut and washer are very small (it's a 9mm nut, I think), and it's almost impossible for me to get the power wire routed in that tiny space, around the post, and stay in place while I tighten the nut. The wire just keeps popping out when I get it close to tightening the nut all the way.

How have others attached these power wires? Thanks for any help!

Hi lvrpl,

And there is nothing wrong with using a spade lug on the wire. Just be sure to get a good crimp on it. Poor crimps result in heat build up and an eventual failure at the weak point.

The forked spade lugs are rated for amerage and wire size and are color coded. You will need a yellow one on the booster pump.

booster1.jpg
booster2.jpg
booster3.jpg

You ought to be able to use #14 wire with this booster pump running on 240 V.

That should make working with the wire very very easy. What gauge are you using?

Are you running at 240 V? The two red wires you see there are the power wires protected by a 240 V / 15 A breaker.

Hope this helps.

Using solid wires, you should be able to get a good shepherds hook formed on the end of the wire to put around the screw. Personally I would never use a crimp on a solid wire as the connection is never quite solid. I have seen way too many failures caused by crimps on solid wire.

Thanks the help guys. It was a bear but I was finally able to get it connected this morning. The wires were a pretty thick gauge wire, maybe 10 or 12, so they were pretty stiff in that tight, confined connection space. Everything's running smoothly now - thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.