Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Trying to connect wires for Polaris booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Trying to connect wires for Polaris booster pump

I was just out working on hooking up the electrical connections for my new Polaris booster pump (PB4-60) and am about to lose my mind trying to actually connect the two hot wires in the tight space and on the small nut-and-post at the terminals under the little access cover. Can I put a spade or round terminal connector on my black power wires to connect them to the terminals on the pump? Or do I absolutely have to get my wire attached via the nut and washer on the post at the terminals?

Specifically, there's a post on terminal 1 and terminal 6 (where the two hot wires go - I've got 220v on my equipment pad) with a nut and washer on it, and then a couple of spade connector posts also (one of which is taken up by a wired for the 220v configuration). My problem is this - the posts with the nut and washer are very small (it's a 9mm nut, I think), and it's almost impossible for me to get the power wire routed in that tiny space, around the post, and stay in place while I tighten the nut. The wire just keeps popping out when I get it close to tightening the nut all the way.

How have others attached these power wires? Thanks for any help!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Trying to connect wires for Polaris booster pump

Hi lvrpl,

And there is nothing wrong with using a spade lug on the wire. Just be sure to get a good crimp on it. Poor crimps result in heat build up and an eventual failure at the weak point.

The forked spade lugs are rated for amerage and wire size and are color coded. You will need a yellow one on the booster pump.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just realized the wires are solid core - no problem crimping a forked spade onto a solid core wire, I guess?

Maybe I could use a terminal lug? Something like this? http://www.galco.com/buy/Thomas-and-...AQ&kpid=L70-TB

I'll have to look in the morning to see if there would be room for something like this to fit.
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

booster1.jpg
    booster2.jpg
    booster3.jpg

You ought to be able to use #14 wire with this booster pump running on 240 V.

That should make working with the wire very very easy. What gauge are you using?

Are you running at 240 V? The two red wires you see there are the power wires protected by a 240 V / 15 A breaker.

Hope this helps.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Using solid wires, you should be able to get a good shepherds hook formed on the end of the wire to put around the screw. Personally I would never use a crimp on a solid wire as the connection is never quite solid. I have seen way too many failures caused by crimps on solid wire.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks the help guys. It was a bear but I was finally able to get it connected this morning. The wires were a pretty thick gauge wire, maybe 10 or 12, so they were pretty stiff in that tight, confined connection space. Everything's running smoothly now - thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

#10 is a bear AND A HALF but #12 is reasonable and #14 is a cake walk.

Glad you are all ship-shape!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN