I am BACK with an oder problem this time.

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
Alright good people...here is where I left you last, incase anyone may have forgotten:

SwampClean 2015 - opening the pool!!

We have gone since then with a perfectly clear blue pool and I have been maintaining the levels pretty closely without any dramatic drops....but we seem to have an odor issue and have been ever since I got it cleaned. First, my current readings:

CYA 40
FC 5
CC 0 (MAYBE 0.5)
TC 5 (maybe 5.5)
CH 250
TA 140
PH 8.2

Now, when we last left off from the SwampClean thread, the water was clear but I was getting some sediment that would settle to the bottom of the liner. I will let you know that to this day...I am still getting that. and if I do not vacuum every few days, the sediment will turn to a dark brown...as where initially it is almost beach white in color. My assumption is that this has been dead algae that is making it past the filter and being blown back into the pool and re-settling to the bottom of the pool. I have not been able to get a good enough picture to post so you will just have to picture it from the description.

For whatever reason, I have not been able to rid the pool of this minor issue...but, could it be the cause of a bigger one? The water has an odor to it. 7 of us swim in it...2 can't smell it at all...2 can smell it but its very faint...and 3 have stopped swimming in it because they think the smell is so bad. it is similar to rotten eggs!

Mean while, the water is clear and the numbers have stayed consistently good. Nothing has been put in the pool beyond the shock and the bleach mentioned in the SwampClean thread...and CYA.

Is there anything you can think of that would be causing this smell? I hate to have half the family avoid the pool because of the oder. Surely there is a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome back! :wave:

Rotten eggs smell is usually from sulfur based compounds if that is what you're smelling. Those smells can come from many places, but not anything you're putting in the pool or would likely be growing in the pool.

Sources to check into:
A nearby septic system with a broken or loose access cap.
A natural gas or propane source or piping nearby that may have a leak.
A swampy or constantly water soaked soil area that may have soil bacteria growth producing "swamp gas".

Is it always present? Worse on some days than others? Worse when the wind is from a particular direction?

If you happened to be using sulfuric acid rather than muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) that could contribute to a sulfur smell but that's not a recommended pool acid here. Are you using dry acid?

JVT,

Thanks for the reply! The one thing that sets this issue apart from the possible causes you suggested, is the fact that the smell lingers on the skin when you get out of the pool and dry off. Also, you can smell it in the swim suits.

It is always present.

I have never added any type of acid to the pool. I did buy 2 gal. of muriatc acid last season...but I have never added any to the pool. ?!?!? I am perplexed. I am also not sure we would all describe the smell as being familure (ie rotten eggs)

Looked at some of the pics from your Swamp thread and the yard seems to be rural/semi-rural. Are you filling from a well that may have some iron content? Iron compounds can also give off a sulfur like aroma as well. Ever had any issues with iron stains?

I could be completely off base, but the only thought that I could think of that seemed plausible was that perhaps this left over sediment that kept settling at the bottom of the pool was dead algae from the clean up, and that it had a odor to it that was permeating the water. But I also would have assumed I have put enough bleach in that pool to kill any odors.

I just do not know what to think about this....

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean that may not be an issue. It is a very rual area but we do get our water via a city pipe line...so it's not well water. But, I still would wonder about the iron???

I have not seen a test for that....how should I check it out?

Thanks,
Steve

Pool stores can give you a decent result for iron and copper levels so that might be a place to start, even though I loathe going into those stores. Some are great, but my local ones leave much to be desired. Individual tests for at home are a bit pricey and local laboratory testing for metals can also be costly.

Your city also has a water quality report available here: Water Quality Report | Nevada Water Supply Corporation I looked through it briefly and copper and iron levels appear to be low in that report but if you're a long distance from the collection points, piping could be elevating iron levels marginally before it reaches you. Unregulated sulfates are also listed as about 100 ppm. You can see a description of sulfates in the report as by-products from oil field activity. That's a possible source but I'm not sure if that's high enough levels to smell in your water.

... Now, when we last left off from the SwampClean thread, the water was clear but I was getting some sediment that would settle to the bottom of the liner. I will let you know that to this day...I am still getting that. and if I do not vacuum every few days, the sediment will turn to a dark brown...as where initially it is almost beach white in color ...

I don't know that we need to read past here.... something is growing in the pool and is likely the cause of the odor. I suggest an OCLT is in order. Also, pH needs to come down to help the chlorine do its job. TA needs to come down to keep from fighting the too-high pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.