Need to add a little CYA, which route to take...

FunFinder

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2015
Cajun country, Louisiana
Hello Everyone. Pool has been great thanks to TFP! I started with CYA of 70-80 (testing w/ t100 kit and have SWG) and it is now down to 50. I assume it was splashed out because my kids don't really swim in the pool, they just jump and jump and jump... Ph always runs high due to the aforementioned jumping and SWG, so I'm wondering if I should let my SWG have a break and put some pucks in to raise CYA and help keep ph a little lower so I don't have to add acid as much? Is this reasonable or would the pucks do something I don't want? If pucks are ok for my purpose, then please let me know which ones to purchase. If not, then I know what to do and still have granular CYA here to use.
TIA and here's a pic

image.jpg

I think pucks would be fine to use if you want to try things with the SWG off for a while. Just be sure to put them in floaters, not in the skimmer. Also buy pucks that are only trichlor, no metal (copper) listed in the ingredients. Any way you choose to add CYA will work fine. TFP stresses knowing what each chemical is going to do to your pool, not limiting the choices of pool owners.

That is some fantastic looking water! Wow! Well, you have been doing your TFP research, and the proposal you mentioned is a viable option - to a point. I suppose the first thing you might want to do is go to the bottom of the Poolmath calculator and use the feature "Effects of adding chemicals" to see what your expected outcome would be from using pucks. Since your CYA is already high to maintain a SWG pool, you don't have a lot of room for error to go much higher. Of course you would also have to monitor your FC consumptions closely to see if the pucks were actually keeping-up with the usage. Not so sure I personally would go that route, but if you wish to experiment with it and see you certainly can. You seem to know the basic foundation of water chemistry based on your post description and picture of the water, so if it doesn't work-out, you can simply go back to what you have been doing. :) Oh, and if you do try the pucks, again, use the calculator to experiment with the effects of tri-chlor or di-chlor and see which one you might want to experiment with.

Thanks for the quick responses and the compliment. i had not thought about having to increase my frequency of monitoring FC- duh, and having to purchase a floater thing. Looks like I should stick with what I know works and experiment with something else! Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.