Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: backing for solar panels

1. Back To Top    #1

backing for solar panels

I'm building a ground rack for solar panels. Something similar to one described here.

They use corrugated polycarbonate roofing panels as backing for the panels. I found similar metal panels that are priced a bit better and would probably be stronger and longer lasting.

My only concern is that metal panel would work as a radiator dissipating the heat from the solar panels. Is that something to be concerned with? The rack will be open to the wind so I fear it might make difference.

Anything else I can use for this purpose?

Thanks.

here is the pic from the site:

26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: backing for solar panels

Mine are mounted on a R panel metal roof, which only have a narrow ridge every 12 inches and work fine. (I did use strips of synthetic decking board as runners for the header and footer on the panels for better support and to prevent uneven abrasion of the panels on the ridges)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Isaac,

I believe it was pictures of your solar build that made me look at metal roofing panels. Your system is on the roof, so the back is not exposed to the air... Do you happen to have any pics of the decking boar setup?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry I don't I planned to take photos when it was installed but there was a race against weather (wind from a cold front) going on.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~