Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thompson's Water Seal and Pool Water... OK or Terrible?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thompson's Water Seal and Pool Water... OK or Terrible?

Hi, everyone,

We've opened the pool, even though it's too cool to actually get into. We have a small in-and-out wood side deck next to our above-ground pool, and need to apply water sealant to the top. Husband would prefer to use the sprayer, because it's quicker and easier and he swears he will try not to get it into the pool water. We all know that's impossible, at least some will mist in... but how big of an issue would that be? Would the chlorine take care of it? Would such a small amount make a difference? Should I be dictator!wife and make him use the brush?
    Va Beach
    18' round, 54" tall above ground pool
    1hp, Hayward Xstream Cartridge filter, 100 sf

2. Back To Top    #2
    Escondido, CA (near San Diego)

Re: Thompson's Water Seal and Pool Water... OK or Terrible?

I don't know for sure, but as the product makes things waterproof, I'd be worried about it making your filter waterproof! I'd hate for things to get gunked up in the filter and have the water flow restricted. And how easy would that be to clean?

I guess it might come down to the amount that gets in. Can he roll/paint on the edge (first foot or so) and then spray the rest?

Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: Thompson's Water Seal and Pool Water... OK or Terrible?

Thompson's is a wax-type product dissolved in a volatile liquid for application. The wax is what would concern me. I've gotten concrete sealer in my pool, and it hardens almost instantly and can be skimmed off. Try an experiment by pouring a little in a bucket of water to see how it behaves.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat