Need some advice.

May 17, 2015
Ohio
My 1st year with the pool went fairly smooth,I had one bad bout of algea earlier this month.I let my FC get too low and been playing catch up since.It seems since this happened I'm having filter problems(I think).
Now,every time I backwash(3-5 min) then rinse at least 1 min,as soon as I turn it back to filter and turn pump on,it blows a big cloud of junk out the jet.My water is clear as can be until this happens.
Leaves are starting to fall and I'm trying to stay on top of keeping the smimmer basket cleaned out and vacuuming 3 times a week.
I only have a couple weeks tops left to enjoy my pool,if I can get brave enough to get in..Been chilly nights and it's down to about 70-72 degrees water temps.
I bought this pool used and I deep cleaned the filter as shown on this site but I used the sand that was in it already,I'm wondering do I need to add sand or replace next year before startup?
Also wondering if I should go to SWG since I found one on year-end sale,or continue to buy liquid chlorine(I think I have used about 8-9 4gal cases this year)
Thanks for suggestions

Well, you have a couple issues to address:
- Typically sand will last as long as the filter itself as long as no unusual stuff was added to the filter/sand to make it unserviceable. Can you describe what is blowing back out into the pool? Does it appear to be sand, or is it algae?
- Last time the filter was disassembled, is it possible that something wasn't reassembled properly (i.e. laterals)?
- Investing in a SWG is always n option for those who want a little more freedom from manually adding chlorine. That is really a personal choice. Many people love their SWG and go for the up-front investment. Others are fine just adding bleach the old-school method. If you search the forum you will see many posts about comparing the two methods.
- So are you still battling algae (playing catch-up)? If so, then you should SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain now to remove any algae before you winterize your pool. That should make opening in the spring a bit easier for you as well.

If you have any other questions, just let us know.

Can you describe what is blowing back out into the pool? Does it appear to be sand, or is it algae?

It's like a colored cloud...I've tried running the vac with a knee-high over the skimmer basket and also tried holding knee-high over return jet while starting pump back up and it still happens.
Also,the filter worked fine from startup(May) until recently..It just started doing this when I got the algae problem.

I'll extend rinse time and see if that helps.

Thanks for the replies

That's a good place to start. If that doesn't resolve the issue, or if the cloudy begins to have a green tint to it, perhaps post a full set of test results for us to review. Possibly consider doing an OCLT to rule-out any remaining organic material still in your water. Hope it clears-up for you soon.

I wanted to follow up on the problem I was having with my filter in case anyone else has the same troubles.I got the bright idea to put an adapter on my discharge outlet so I could hook up a water hose to run water to a drain while I did my backwashing,because I didn't want to shoot chlorine water in my grass..
After I got the algea problem under control,I quit doing this and started backwashing by just letting it fly straight out of the filter..That took care of it.No more dirty cloud shooting back into pool:D
The only thing I can think of was that the hose was restricting pressure and not letting it backwash correctly..
It will be coming off this year and I'll use a 2" discharge hose designed for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.