Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster pump install

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster pump install

I'm going to be installing a new booster pump (Polaris PB4-60) to replace one that just died (an old Hayward 5060). Is there any reason not to use the flex PVC that comes with the pump? Just wondering because the previous pump was plumbed with hard PVC on the inlet to the pump (the outlet on the old pump used flex PVC). Thanks!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster pump install

The Polaris PB4-60 has 3/4" pipe threads so you can do whatever you find best for your system. 3/4" PVC male adapters are a buck or less at any hardware store.

This pump does come with its own flexible 3/4" tubing and fittings so I just used those but it can certainly be hard piped.

Be sure to do you best to NEVER run this pump without the main pump on. The impeller will overheat, melt, and seize up the motor. DAMHIKT.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

Ha, thanks for the tip! I don't think my controller will let my booster run without the main pump.

Ok so another question on the flex pipe - any reason not to do just a 2 or 3 inch section of it? Turns out the old pump was leaking partially because the clown that had this before me plumbed the hard pipe into the booster inlet at a not exactly perpendicular angle. The plumbing is also a bit tight so I'm wondering if I can do a short section of the flex pvc to get the pipes that come together at slightly different heights and angles to join up. Does that make sense?

4. Back To Top    #4

I did exactly that...used small amounts of the flex to make my life easier hooking everything up. The fittings and flex pipe Polaris provides work nicely.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome, thanks for the help! Any chance you have any pictures convenient of how you plumbed it? If not, no worries. Thanks!
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

booster-pump-plumbing.jpg

This is the best of I have right now. The intention of the pic wasn't to show the booster pump but I think it gets the point across.

I have a 1" line to the pool for the cleaner and I transitioned from 1" to 3/4" and use all those 45s (long story short, I had a lot of them on hand and didn't feel like going to get 90s) and to a male adapter which I threaded the Polaris fittings onto.
    ----Chris----

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome, thanks! How long would you say that section of flex PVC is int he picture? 9" maybe? Hopefully a 2" section won't be too hard to jam onto the Polaris fittings.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd say a foot. The shorter one, not in the pic, on the main intake is about 6-8". That is taken off my pool return line.

You're only going to have a 2" flex line? The fittings, the black Polaris ones, will take up the whole flex unless you mean 2" of exposed line. That 'nut' on the black fitting is probably a good inch long I'm guessing.
    ----Chris----

9. Back To Top    #9

Ya, I'm planning on maybe 2" of exposed flex pvc. Not ideal, I know, but I've got some space constraints. I'd have to rework some major plumbing to get more space and I don't want to do that until I replace my heater this winter. Thanks!