Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Laars EPC-II Pilot Ignition Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Laars EPC-II Pilot Ignition Problem

My 20+ year-old Laars EPC-II natural gas heater does not start up correctly. It tries to ignite for about 20 seconds, then shoots a ball of fire out the front (if the cover is removed), and ignites. It runs normally once ignited.

I have uploaded a video here: http://youtu.be/oCW3pGmQb8E

What happens typically (and in the video) is that the heater tries to ignite twice and fails. Then on the third try, the ignition spark ignites the gas that has accumulated (I think). Then the heater runs normally. If you turn the volume way up on the video you will hear the ignitor.

Start-up is not always consistent. Sometimes the heater lights on the first or second try; sometimes it tries several times and seems to give up.

How do I fix this?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Laars EPC-II Pilot Ignition Problem

Sounds like you need to clean your burners.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. Then my plan is to pull out the burner assembly and clean the burners with a wire brush. I have also ordered a new Pilot Burner Assembly (R0061600) to replace the existing one while I have have the burners pulled out.

4. Back To Top    #4

Orange flame on burners isn't right either... Should be blue... Have you checked to make sure the flue and exhaust are clean?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Is this a propane unit? Inside a pump house or some sort of enclosure? Definitely clean the burners and check to make sure the unit is not sooted up.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Make sure that you check the burners at the openings, check the orifices, especially the pilot igniter orifice, and above all, check the pilot assembly for spider webs, small debris,etc.

7. Back To Top    #7

ps0303: It is a gas unit inside a pump house.

stebs: I have not check the exhaust. I will try to figure out a way to do that.

OldPoolMan: I made a checklist of you points.

Thank you all.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by damormino View Post
    ps0303: It is a gas unit inside a pump house.
    Natural or propane?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Natural or propane?
    Sorry. It is a natural gas unit inside a pump house.