Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best test kit for beginner with Autopilot SWG and Autopilot chemistry controller

1. Back To Top    #1

Best test kit for beginner with Autopilot SWG and Autopilot chemistry controller

I am new to maintaining my pool and I really appreciate the information on this site! I need to purchase a test kit and it appears that the Taylor K2006C and the TF-100 are recommended the most. Is there one of these that I should get over the other given that I have never done this before and considering the type of automated system I have?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    Built 11/2009; 16x25 IG free form with raised spa and spillover; 10,500 gal; gunite color quartz plaster finish; flagstone coping; travertine deck; Hayward NorthStar 2.5HP pump; U.S. motors 2HP motor; Hayward 525sf Swimclear cartridge filter; Autopilot salt chlorine generator; Autopilot pool chemistry controller; Polaris 3900 sport pool cleaner; Polaris PB4-60 pool cleaner motor(booster pump); Hayward 400K BTU heater, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best test kit for beginner with Autopilot SWG and Autopilot chemistry controller

I recommend the TF-100. Add the Taylor salt test well. And the SpeedStir is a great addition.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Best test kit for beginner with Autopilot SWG and Autopilot chemistry controller

The TF-100 has really been optimized around the TFPC methods, so while the k-2006 is an excellent kit I think the TF-100 is the better choice.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

What they said. I've had a TF100 for 3 seasons. Speed stir last summer (how did I live without it?). Salt test is really only needed to first set up a salt pool. The auto-pilot has a built in salt test and I've confirmed it reads the same as the Taylor salt test kit does for me.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    What they said. I've had a TF100 for 3 seasons. Speed stir last summer (how did I live without it?). Salt test is really only needed to first set up a salt pool. The auto-pilot has a built in salt test and I've confirmed it reads the same as the Taylor salt test kit does for me.
    Except that when salt cells start to fail they generally read lower and lower salt levels than reality so you need an independent test to verify that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Get the salt test... your salt level can very well vary from the SWG readings (mine do) and the test needs to be run a couple of times a year if you get massive rain requiring pump out or water replacement. Its not an expensive test and it is far more accurate than test strips or the SWG.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Excellent. Thanks to everyone who replied. I will order these items. I really appreciate the help!
    Built 11/2009; 16x25 IG free form with raised spa and spillover; 10,500 gal; gunite color quartz plaster finish; flagstone coping; travertine deck; Hayward NorthStar 2.5HP pump; U.S. motors 2HP motor; Hayward 525sf Swimclear cartridge filter; Autopilot salt chlorine generator; Autopilot pool chemistry controller; Polaris 3900 sport pool cleaner; Polaris PB4-60 pool cleaner motor(booster pump); Hayward 400K BTU heater, TF-100 test kit