How long do DE filter grids last? And where to buy...

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
How long would one expect regular DE filter grids to last? (Probably not relevant, but I'm using cellulose as a DE replacement.)

I've noticed that my pool is not getting cleaned by the filter as well as it has in the past. Half a day and I see noticeable amounts of dust/debris sitting at the bottom of the pool, and half a day after vacuuming it's back again.

Last time I disassembled my filter, I didn't notice any holes in the filter grid, however, a few of them had their plastic rings at the end broken (not lining up easily), making reassembly very, very difficult. I got it in there, but I was wondering whether that means they are slightly broken, or really broken.

I'm trying to decide whether to order a brand new set of grids. This set has been in there at least 5 years.

Final question, when ordering grids, any recommendations on brands? I see "name brand" ones and "no name" ones. Do I care? Is a grid a grid? Any recommendations are really appreciated.

(OP here.)

Since no one answered me, I'll update the thread. My pool is getting worse and worse (dirtier and dirtier). I took a visit to my local Leslie's and casually asked them how long filter grids usually last. He said 2-3 seasons. When I mentioned mine were at least 5 years old (possibly more), and that the circle rings at the bottom were totally cracked (making reassembly very difficult), he laughed and said, oh yeah, you're way overdue.

I asked him for a quote for my Hayward 60, and his price was around $320 for the full set of 7+1 grids. Of course, I came home, and online found an Amazon listing for $130. It's a different brand (Unicel), and I can't find any reviews that mention its longevity, so I guess I'll take one for the team and give these a try. Let's see what kind of shape they're in after a couple of years.

Thanks @pabeader. :)

@clambert1273, if you want to wait a few days until I have time to install the new Unicel grids, I can update this post with my first impressions of them. (Not that that will tell me whether they are as good as the Haywards or if they will last as long.) But it's possible I might have new observations after the install.

I wanted to come back and update this thread now that I've installed the new Unicel's. The installation went very smoothly (far easier than trying to reinstall my old cracked Hayward's). The Unicel's look tough and durable. The material looks different than my 5+ year old Hayward's, but maybe that's due to the difference in age. I obviously can't predict how long these will last, but they do look durable. I'll have to remember to update this thread in a couple of years. My pool definitely cleaned up quickly; within several hours of installation and adding cellulose (I prefer cellulose over DE), running the pump and doing a vacuum, the pool is staying much cleaner, sparkling, and all the dirt problems I had are gone.

So, so far so good, as far as I can tell.

Excellent... I figure at some point during the spring I will just replace the whole assembly which I found for like $275

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's seriously not that hard at all (and if you watch a YouTube first, even easier). Plug and play.

The hardest part of the whole process is fitting the filter grids in -- they have to be carefully arranged on the top and bottom. And even if you buy the whole assembly, you will still have to do the tedious fitting of the filter grids. (Highly recommend you watch a YouTube on it.)

From the search I found that DE grids should last 5-10 years when properly cared for. I'm going on 5 years with my original grids and they looked to be in excellent condition when I removed them at the beginning of summer. Glad to see your new grids fixed your issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.