Recovering from a previous owner and a pump replacement

rmax

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2011
Liberty, TX
Calling in the experts.
I have been a member here for a while and have previously taken care of an above ground pool. Over the summer we moved to our "new to us" house and it had a fiberglass in-ground pool.
I have been battling the numbers on this pool since we got here. The CYA was off the scale.
Then the pump went out the first week of August. Got the pump going and realized the multiport valve on the filter was cracked in several places and the fiberglass on the filter was in bad shape.
I now have a new pump and new filter with fresh sand. Back up and running and time the battle the green swamp we have now.
I have been filtering and brushing and running 24/7 since Friday night. I backwashed the filter today and continue the run 24/7.
I have added several gallons of bleach to get the ball rolling and fight the battle ahead.
Here are my numbers as of tonight:
FC - 36
CC - 0 (did it twice because I didn't believe the first result)
pH - to low to measure (I have added 10 boxes of 20 Mule Team since i moved in trying to elevate the pH)
TA - 30
CA - 400
CYA - 100 (with evaporation, refilling pool and backwashing this is starting to come down)

The pool is green now , but I am starting to see the bottom again. I can see well enough to tell if I have all the leaves raked out now anyway.
Untitled by Randy Maxey, on Flickr
I know i will need to keep testing and adding Chlorine as necessary. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

Last edited:
Rmax, Do you know for sure your CYA is at 100, that is where the test stops, have you done the diluted test, 1 cup pool water and 1 cup tap water times 2?

also, your PH will read off, sometimes way off when your FC is over 10.. you will need to wait to test your PH until your done slamming..

You seem to have a good handle on what to do. Not really much to say other than, "Welcome to TFPC!"

Just one note: Evaporation has no net effect on pool chems. All that evaps is water, so if you think about it, as the water leaves the concentration of the different chems goes up. Then when you add water back in it goes back to where it was. So backwashing, vacuuming to waste, splashout and overflow are the only things that will remove stuff from the pool.

Good call on the pH issue, cowboy! I missed it this time. :)

Cowboy-I have not done the diluted test for CYA. I can try that. Right now the black dot in the tube completely disappears as I reach the 100 mark on the test tube. Thanks.

Isaac- I would love to drain some water out. But the main drain on this old pool has been blocked for some reason in the past. I am not sure why.
I guess I could figure out how to attach a hose to the skimmer somehow and let it draw water from the bottom of the pool. I will have to look into how to do that. Thanks.

I will wait until slamming then to address the pH issue. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.