Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains on steps and spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains on steps and spa

Hi all - I'm sure this is a question that's been asked many times, but I figured I would ask again. We have yellowish stains by the water line on the stairs and in the spa, both of which are gray plastic/fiberglass, I'm not exactly sure. We have very hard water in our town, and the water softener does not soften the water that goes to our outside hose - is it possible these are hard water stains? When I had our water tested earlier in the summer they told me it was actually softer than it should be for a swimming pool. Or if that's not what it is, what else could be the cause, and what is our best solution for getting rid of it? I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks,
    Andy
    20k gallons
    In ground plaster pool
    Pentair C420 filter, Pentair Whisperflow 2hp
    Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains on steps and spa

Go get some Vitamin C tablets and hold them against the stain. If this causes the stain to disappear that tells you the stain is a metal stain. Either from your water or from added metals (some algaecides, mineral systems etc)

As to your having water tested elsewhere- you need your own reliable test kit. That is the only way we recommend testing pools routinely. We recommend either the TF-100 or the Taylor's K2006, both available from TFTestkits.net.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain