Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone use a drain bladder successfully?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone use a drain bladder successfully?

Hello all. I am having weak suction on the deep end skimmer where the water rotation looks slow. There has been a lot of leaves so I bought from the hardware store this 1.5 drainking drain bladder that proved worthless. I took out the skimmer basket turned off the pump and placed the bladder into the back hole. Within 2 minutes the hose came rocketing out with a cracked bladder. Ugh what a useless thing it seems and wasted ride. Anyone have luck with this?
    IG 15 X 30 Rectangle Vinyl Liner Built 1994
    Hayward DE 3620 Vertical Pro Grid
    AquaCal Heat Pump
    18K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Anyone use a drain bladder successfully?

Actually they usually work unless the suction line is either plugged or you have a check valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

I may not see the entire picture, but I'm puzzled as to what you were trying to do? Where did you expect the water or clog to go? My understanding of how to use the drain bladder is that you have two open ends of the same pipe. You put the bladder in one end and expect water and any clog to blow out the other end. I would have expected you to say that you had the pump lid off and watched as water either poured out meaning the pipe is clear or didn't pour out meaning the pipe is clogged..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    I may not see the entire picture, but I'm puzzled as to what you were trying to do? Where did you expect the water or clog to go? My understanding of how to use the drain bladder is that you have two open ends of the same pipe. You put the bladder in one end and expect water and any clog to blow out the other end. I would have expected you to say that you had the pump lid off and watched as water either poured out meaning the pipe is clear or didn't pour out meaning the pipe is clogged..

Jim R.
    That would explain the blow out! Now if you did have the basket open you have a big clog and might need to snake it out.

Good Luck and update us
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8