Pool Renovation Project - MA (pics and video)

ummmmmm you are NEVER allowed near my husband! You must have kicked the curb HARD!

In our 30 year marriage he has been in a wheelchair 3 times! They use words like "shatter and pulverize" when they talk about his "boo-boos" LOL Of course I was right behind him on the motorcycle (offroad) or filming when he was on the jet ski (doing tricks). At least he was having fun!

Kim

ummmmmm you are NEVER allowed near my husband! You must have kicked the curb HARD!

In our 30 year marriage he has been in a wheelchair 3 times! They use words like "shatter and pulverize" when they talk about his "boo-boos" LOL Of course I was right behind him on the motorcycle (offroad) or filming when he was on the jet ski (doing tricks). At least he was having fun!

Kim

haha he sounds like he injures himself doing exciting things. I injure myself doing boring things like walking, falling through the attic 15' to the floor below, breaking my leg in a pot hole, stubbing my foot requiring surgery... Those types of exciting things.

On another note though when I am doing something exciting I don't usually break things. I have wrecked a motor cycle twice and not a scratch.

The pool is looking great! I really like your deck it is very different from others I have seen.

Thanks! We really liked the look of the granite too, and the fact that it's not your average pool deck. And now that it's mostly down we're happy with the choice. And the accent strip definitely helps break up the light color, and matches the waterline tile reasonably well, so it's all coming together.

Another full day of work, got another big chunk of decking down:

And finished up some more detail on the accent strip around the back edge:

Here's another long-ish video of the deck installation:

Looks awesome. Love that linear running bond pattern.

Thanks ... it does look nice - the only downside is that it accentuates how our pool is not square (in spite of all the "right" angles which are not all 90 degrees). I think the original pool builders were a little sloppy with getting everything square since it was an exposed aggregate concrete deck - so no paver seams to line up with. The deck / coping guys did their best to try to correct things a bit by adjusting the coping (i.e. the overhang inside the pool isn't always the same to try to correct the angles), but it was off by a big enough amount where they couldn't correct everything. It's more noticeable now since there isn't poly-sand in the joints yet, so it will probably get a little better. And there really isn't any way to fix it, so it is what it is!

Here's the spot where it's probably most noticeable - but most of the longer runs have been squared up, so pretty happy with what they were able to do to correct it:

What, you mean your friends don't come over to pool parties with tape measures and framing squares? What fun is that?

Definitely not a big deal - and one of those things that we will notice but no one else will. And since the pool was built like that, there really isn't any way to fully fix it, so it is what it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL my friends show up with coolers and bleach! They know what to bring...............I will have soda and food. If you want drinks your bring it and hand me your keys! As a joke they also bring a gallon of bleach when I told them that is what the pool "drinks"!

It works well!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another full day on Friday - deck is mostly laid out now. They ran a bit short on material, so they're getting the rest and should finish up today (Monday). Pebble is scheduled for Tuesday, but our forecast looks like rain the rest of the week, so we'll see whether or not that happens....

Landscapers should also be here today to start on the grading / yard / etc.

Deck almost done:

And Friday's video:

Another day, another video ... decking is basically done now. Landscapers also started up again - removed some stumps and started on some of the irrigation fixing. Tomorrow is plaster / pebble ... weather permitting (we're supposed to have rain the next few days, so we'll see what happens).

Shots of the mostly finished deck:

Skimmer lids made from the granite pavers:

And a video of the decking work:

And the stump removal:

NICE touch on the skimmer lids! Look at the cuts they did for them! You found some good tradesmen for sure!

I saw on the stump taking out......they did some work on the left side. It almost looked like they did a trench or such. What was that? I THINK it ends up grading away from the pool. I am just being nosy! LOL

I am glad to see that you had the stumps taken out. That will save you major problems in the future. We are dealing with where the former owner had a tree taken down and the stump ground out. It has been over 15 years and NOW it is starting to settle. We had to bring in some dirt to fill it back in.

Kim

they did some work on the left side. It almost looked like they did a trench or such. What was that?

That was the beginning of repairing the sprinkler main that went across the yard for a few zones on that side (outside the fence actually). I think they were just trying to look at what was there and come up with a plan...

Weather held up today, and we got our Blue Surf Pebble Sheen finish done. It was supposed to rain this afternoon, but has held up so far. Tomorrow is still supposed to be heavy rain, but they said they'll be back either way to polish the finish (I guess they tent over the pool if it's too bad). Lucky for me I get to deal with the water delivery, startup, etc in the rain ... but maybe I'll save a few dollars on the water thanks to mother nature!

Pictures of the finish:

And we got some of the sparkly mini-tiles on the steps and "Spa seat":

And it's a little tough to see in the bag, but they also did a pebble-topped cover for the main drain:

Here's the video of the pretty elaborate process:

BLING! I love it!

So tell me more about the main drain cover..........I THINK I know what you are saying but not sure. We have another member that is in need of main drain covers to match her plaster.............

Kim

So tell me more about the main drain cover..........I THINK I know what you are saying but not sure. We have another member that is in need of main drain covers to match her plaster.............

Honestly I don't know much about it - it wasn't something we were even aware of or asked about, but apparently the PB does it for all his pebble jobs - says he hates to see a nice pebble finish with a drain cover sticking out like a sore thumb. It looks like it's basically a drain cover with a little pocket on top where they apply the same plaster/pebble as the pool surface. I'd take a better picture, but it's *pouring* out this morning... I'm not sure what the options are if you are trying to do it after your pool has already been finished.

Can you ask your PB the name of it and/or where he gets it? That is SO neat!

I can't use it as I just have an aboveground pool. It does have a main drain but it is fine being white. The person I am thinking about has a dark plaster and they white cover is really showing up on it. The "aftermarket" covers are $$ so.......

Kim

The pool looks wonderful! Blue surf goes so well with your coping,tile and decking. I have a dumb question. Were you home when they plastered the pool? If so did you verify the color on the bags before they applied your finish? If so what do the bags say on them? I want to know what to look for when they plaster my pool. I am supposed to hopefully get plastered next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.