Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Been trying to get clear water for a month!

1. Back To Top    #1

harbor city, ca

Been trying to get clear water for a month!

Hi, I live in California and have spent lots of money trying to get rid of algae. We have had the water tested at the pool store and all the levels are ok, and algae dead. Tiny particles of dead algae causing the cloudy green water. They sold us a bag of Burn Out, used half a bag as directed, filter has been changed/ running 24/7.

Do we use the rest of the Burn Out and hope for the best?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Intex Pool
    Margaret S

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Been trying to get clear water for a month!

Welcome to TFP!

We do not trust pool store testing, so a statement that "levels are good" is not very helpful.

If you want to take control, then invest in one of the recommended test kits and post up a full set of test results.

I do not even know what burn out is. Most of us do not use those "special" pool chemicals.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

That's right. Pool store testing was mostly wrong in many threads that I have read. Green color almost guarantees you still have algae. You need to test yourself and then SLAM the pool as per TFP.

What are the test results from the pool store?
    Can you post photos of the pool?
    Kyle. I manage a residential complex and taking care of the swimming pool is one of my duties. It is an indoor, 36 000 gallons (140 000 liters), Marbelite, heated pool, with sand filter, and Jacuzzi 1.5 HP pump. Normally I aim to keep the following chemical composure in the pool: FC = 1.5 - 2.5; PH = 7.4 - 7.6; TA = 80 - 90; CH = 200 - 300; Saturation Index = 0.0 - +0.2 Testing Kit: Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Margaret, you need to be doing your own testing. The most amazing thing happens when you do so- you save tons of money *not* buying mystical lotions and potions that the pool store sells you after they tell you you have a problem.

We only recommend these two kits- The TF-100 or the Taylor's K-2006, both available from or in your area

Our solution for green is liquid chlorine. You can use common 8.25% household bleach (reg plain, no scents, dripless or outdoor types) and based on your own testing and the knowledge of your CYA level we can help tell you how much to add to SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain) your pool clear. It is NOT a one time dose thing, its a process. Its like taking antibiotics, you have to do the complete prescription even though you feel better by day two and want to stop.

Holler back if you get a test kit and want more input.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

+1 to what the other respondents have said about the accuracy (or lack thereof) of pool store testing. I use the TF-100 and primarily two chemicals to manage my pool: (1) Plain unscented liquid bleach, and (2) muriatic acid as needed. No magic "pool store" potions are needed. With the right test kit, managing a pool can be quite simple.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.