Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEW in winterizing SWG pool - PLEASE HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Question NEW in winterizing SWG pool - PLEASE HELP

Hello,
    I will be winterizing my above-ground pool first time this year.
    I know that I have to disconnect all the equipment, bring the water down below the return line, clean pool and do all other routine I have previously done for the Bacquacil pool.

What I don't know - the chemistry of winterizing.
    I have read in one thread that I have to:
    1. Bring the FC to the shock level -in my case with SYA level of 70, I have to bring the FC to 28 ppm, which means I have to add 423 oz. of bleach --IS THIS RIGHT
    2. Add Polyquat60 - HOW MUCH?

Is the sequence correct? Bleach first, then Polyquat60?

How about other parameters (do I need to do anything?):

Salt - current level 3100 ppm
    TA - current level 110 ppm
    CH - current level 225 ppm
    pH - current level 8.0

Thank you very much in advance.
    y51
    12.5K gal, above-ground oval, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 150 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaTrol SWG, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NEW in winterizing SWG pool - PLEASE HELP

Here is the link/page that describes just about everything you are asking: : Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool. As the instructions say, you'll increase the FC first to SLAM/Shock level for 24 hours before adding the Polyquat. Before going to SLAM level though, adjust your pH FIRST since you won't be able to test pH properly when the chlorine is that high. You'll add the Polyquat based on the instructions on the container itself for your pool. As for how much bleach to add ... that depends upon your current FC level at the time and how much you need to get to your SLAM/Shock level. As long as you use the Poolmath calculator you'll be fine. Make sure on the calculator, you update your pool volume AND the percentage of bleach you are using.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the same question. I'm a new SWG pool owner. My CYA is 80 per this site and the manual for the SWG. unfortunately, a SLAM for winterization is not really practical at this CYA level for an SWG pool. What do other SWG pool owners do for the winter? I can't see adding 1,350 oz of bleach to winterize my pool in order to bring my FC to 31 (appropriate SLAM level for an 80 CYA). Lastly, you can't test FC at this level as far as I know. I have the Taylor FAS/DPD test which I believe will only test up to 20 PPM FC. I'm confused too!
    26,000 gal IG freeform gunite pool, pebble sheen, Jandy VS PlusHP pump, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy Hi-E2 heater, AquaLink PDA, Polaris 280, well water auto fill, completed 6/2015, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Tre, the Taylor FAS/DPD should test up to 50 FC. Sorry I have no advice for winterizing. 2 weeks of winter in San Antonio

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

That article contains our recommendations for closing the pool. Up to you if you want to follow them and open to a clear pool. A little (10 bottles ) of bleach now or possibly more in the spring.

Really the water temp at closing and opening play a pretty large role though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I personally do not add anything. I simply close it AFTER the water drops to the 50's, then open it before it is out of the 50's. It closes crystal clear and opens crystal clear. For me, closing happens in November typically, opening is in March.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

jblizzle,

A am still a bit confused.
    1. You talk about 10 bottles, while the pool math calculator shows just 3 gal of bleach at SYA 70 that I have to add to get the shock level of 28 ppm FC.
    2. I understand that the lower the temperature at closing and opening, the better. However, when I plug into calculator 50 degF temperature, it still give me the same amount of bleach to add. What if I am going to clese this weekend at 90 degF?
    3. I have consistent TA level of 110 ppm. Should I reduce it with chemicals?

Thanks for your time,
    y51
    12.5K gal, above-ground oval, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 150 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaTrol SWG, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

The closing below 60 degrees is more important than bringing to shock level before closing, in my opinion. The reason you bring to shock level is so that you have a chance to still have some residual FC when you open in the spring. The reason you wait until below 60 degrees is that algae grows very slowly, if at all below 60 degrees. Doing just the shock and not letting the pool cool down is more risky than not elevating FC but allowing the temperature to drop. Doing both is even better. Adding Polyquat-60 along with those two is the best. They're all insurance policies that you won't have a nasty pool in the spring. I'd never close a pool at 90 degrees... If any thing, I'd cover the pool with the winter cover to limit chlorine usage until the water went consistently below 60, then close with polyquat and/or shock level FC.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you JVTrain,

It's clear - I'll wait for the temperature to drop.
    You mentioned: "close with polyquat and/or shock level FC". Does this mean that the shocking is not necessary with temperature below 60?

And my last question about TA level of 110 ppm. Do I need to lower it and how?

Thanks again,
    y51

10. Back To Top    #10

The directions state to bring up to shock level FC a day or two before closing and to add polyquat during the actual closing. That's what is recommended to avoid problems. In your size pool, you're likely looking at $25-30 in polyquat-60 and $6-10 in bleach to do both. The bottle of polyquat will tell you how much based on volume. That's pretty cheap insurance to help avoid algae in the spring. Cheaper than 20 gallons of bleach and your extra time in the spring. There are some people who only bring FC to shock level. Some who only use polyquat-60. Some who don't do anything other than wait for the temps are low enough. Individual results may vary but the recommended procedure provides the best chance of avoiding problems in the spring.

Oh and your TA... do nothing. It's fine. Just maintain your pH between 7.2 and 8.0 until closing, then right before you add any other of your desired chemicals, bring the pH down to 7.2 right before closing.

EDIT: I was referring to the IG pool closing guide. In the AG pool closing guide it states the polyquat is optional. Not sure why it would be any different regardless of pool type but there you have it...
    Last edited by JVTrain; 09-01-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: IG vs. AG
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

JVTrain,

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
    y51

12. Back To Top    #12

No problem. Not sure you saw it but see my EDIT in my last post.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry,,I used the bleach amount listed in tre's post and did not realize it was a different poster ... Exactly why we frown on hijack posts.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

JVTrain,

Yes, I have read the EDIT. I think I will add the polyquat-60 to be safe.

Thanks,
    y51

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I would recommend lowering PH to around 7.5. I keep track of everything. Last year, we closed the pool with a FC of 6 and opened up with a FC of 2. Closed Sept. 15, and opened April 26 (before it was too hot in NJ). Because it was the first year, the pool company closed the pool. They used 1 gallon of Algaecide 5, which I believe contained metals. It was not PolyQuat-60.

This year, I have the PolyQuat-60, and will be keeping the pool opened as long as I can. Depends on how many leaves I have to clean daily. I believe the solid cover helps out a lot from sun light coming in. I will bring FC to shock level this year, which is not a lot based on a CYA of 40. Good luck and keep us posted!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013