Hayward DE Locknut

CBoone

Aug 29, 2015
Springtown,TX
Hello,
I have a Hayward DE6000 filter with a Hayward Selecta-Flo Valve SP740DE. My problem is that the lock nuts connecting the two have cracked. Due to the flair union on the pipes coming out of the Selecta-Flo am unable to put a new one on. Is there a way around this without having to replace the entire Selecta-Flo Valve? Severall of my local pool stores have told me that is the only way to solve this problem.
Any help on this issue would be appreciate. I have found "split nut" but they are threaded for the booster pump and not the filter.

Thanks!

Interesting that you mention a flare fitting. From what I see it should just be a o-ring , no flare. Maybe the flare isn't on purpose and can be squeezed down to allow the nut to be replaced?

Please post a pic and maybe we can offer some better help.

I think the original poster used "flare fitting" in the generic sense, in that the fittings are dis-connectable pipe fittings.

From looking at the Hayward parts blow-ups, it looks like there's really may be no way to replace the coupling nuts.

As an alternative, and if the outside diameter of the valve tubes are sized the same as Schedule 40 piping, you could cut the fittings off and solvent weld- on some standard pipe unions. You'd also have to replace the fittings on the DE filter to match, but those simply unscrew so they're the easier part of the job. If you did it yourself, that would be about a $45 cost for parts.

In the mean time, if the split is across the nut, you may be able to gently hold it together with a large hose clamp around the outside diameter of the nut. It would be a balancing act as to how tight to make the clamp, but it may hold things together sufficiently for continued use.

Please post a link to the pictures you are using. So I will know better next time. I would really appreciate it....

If you're referring to the manuals and parts pages I looked at, just Google the model numbers of the Valve (SP740DE) and Filter (DE6000) and click on the pdf's that show up, which are usually manuals, or click on the online pool parts store links, who usually have lots of blown up diagrams and sometimes parts photos.

99% of the diagrams and photos of that valve assembly have the coupling nuts moved up so you can't see what's preventing them from coming off, but I found an image on the Google Images tab that shows there are large flanges that the coupling nuts tighten against, so there's really no hope of squeezing or stretching the nuts past them. Here's a link to the photo:

View attachment hay-06-237.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.