New pool/pond/swamp owner

Hi all, I'm Justin. I am 26 years old. I am brand new here and ready to read and soak up a wealth of knowledge. I inherited an inground pool that had sat dormant for about 3 years. The pool pump was broken and never replaced. It is filled just above the skimmer level with what I can assume is rain/pond water. I am not sure the size of the pool or the construction. I think its a plaster of some kind. Not concrete and there doesn't appear to be a liner or sorts. It is about 7/8ft deep in the deep end and 3 feet in the shallow end. It is a kidney shape so measurements are not straightforward. I am not familiar with the system as a whole. there is a large filter but I don't know what kind or how everything is plumbed. The old hoses that came with the pool are cracked, and I am not sure of the condition of the roller and brush tip that I assume goes on the end of a vacuum? I could very well be starting from scratch here.

The water is a dark green with what I can assume is a massive build up of leaves, dead frogs/other animals and general muck on the bottom. Hopefully in the next few weeks I am getting a replacement pump. It is the exact model of the old one. I'm not sure if I should just do that or try to go with a bigger pump. Then I guess I need to try and remove as much of the muck as possible. Not sure how to test the system once I get a pump in. I guess I should figure out what kind of filter I have. Lot's of questions. I ask a lot of questions but I like to be well informed on things.

I am VERY DIY and mechanically inclined (I rebuild vintage motorcycles into modern style cafe racers from the frame up as a side business) so I am not afraid to work on things and get dirty, but I am not sure where to start and the best way to do it with pool. I pick things up quickly once I understand them. I am open to ALL suggestions. I don't have a ton of money to spend either since I did not put this pool in myself. I know this will be a process but I am a very stubborn and determined person to get things finished, and correctly

I know this is a long introduction post and I thank you all in advance for putting up with my questions!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool.

Here is something to get you started on identifying your equipment,
Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

First you need to get a great test kit on order, Pool School - Test Kits Compared
I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net, you might want the XL option so you get some extra tests for clearing your swamp.

Once you figure out your pool equipment update your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

The way to clear up a swamp is to get a leaf rake and scoop everything out of the pool and then follow this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

In between scooping read this to get up to speed on water chemistry,
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to TFP!

I would suggest taking the opportunity to upgrade your pump to a 2 speed version either by just replacing the motor or the entire pump. This will save you money on electricity in the future.

With more details and pictures we can help with recommendations.

Thanks guys, I have been reading ALL morning. We have had the WETTEST summer here in southeast Georgia I can remember for a long time. It is currently raining now. I have been adding some chlorine to the pool every other day to help keep down the mosquitoes. There were two sessions of tadpoles in there as well but they are all gone. I have been reading a lot of threads and for the most part things look hopeful. I will definitely look into upgrading to a 2 speed version. I am just not sure how different pumps mount up (ie universal ft or restrictions to brands etc). I will get some pictures up soon enough. There is a lot of landscaping and cleaning up to be done. its a bit of a dump out back. It will more than likely be days if not weeks before I have a solid update but the pump, leaf rake, pole and testing kit are first in order. In the meantime I will continue to read and research to gain better understanding. I will start a new thread in the "just getting started" section to document the pool cleaning