Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi all- new pool owner here

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi all- new pool owner here

Got kind of late start this summer as my pool was complete first of August, about a month now.

really liking it and learning all about pools and pool maintenance. So far so good (great) !! This is the first time I WANTED the summer heat to continue!!

Pool was built by Anthony and sylvan pools , free from , pebble tec , nature2 , 19000 gallons

Steve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi all- new pool owner here

Welcome and enjoy!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice to have you with us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hiya Steve

Have you got a good test kit yet?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep got the Taylor k5820 from Leslie's, after reading all the post I want to get a cya test, probably wait till next summer for that. I'm hoping my nature2 will work well, not so sure now, the bbb method seams like a good way to go, I'll at least use up all the chemicals Leslie's sold me.

6. Back To Top    #6

In addition to the CYA test, you're missing a proper FC/CC test (the FAS-DPD test) which measures FC up to 50 ppm (a lot more useful when you have problems or high CYA and gives you the CC level)

CYA test --> TFTestkits.net
    FAS-DPD test--> TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I do have Free chlorine and combined chlorine test is the one you noted different?
    Steve- 19K IG PebbleTec (sandy beach color pebble) final plaster/pebble August 2015
    Jandy pro cartridge filter
    Jandy pro series Plus HP PHPF pump w/waterfall
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner- TF-100 w/SpeedStir
    50ppm Borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, they are different. The K5820 simply records levels up to 5 ppm with the drops while looking into the comparator window. The FAS-DPD, available via TFTestkits.net uses a combination of a powdered mix (R-0870) and drops (R-0871) to provide more accurate FC and CC readings. The FC can be recorded WAY above 5 ppm, most commonly used during a SLAM when accurate recordings are needed up to 10, 20 30 ppm. You can order just the FAS-DPD and still use your K5820 for pH, TA, and low-level OTO chlorine checks up to 5ppm.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi all, pool update- after lurking these forums this past month, ( chem geek, every time I see your comments to questions I'm know there will be a professional, unbiased explanation/answer given. I have ditched the nature2, cut the mineral cartridge so that only the top with threads and seal remains, no more pucks in it, I will save pucks Leslie's sold me for times when away from pool for extended times to keep chlorine in pool. Added 45 lbs of boric acid to pool, my hair and skin feels much softer after swimming. I also got the TF100 test kit, great kit !
    I still have 2 jugs of Phos free and about 1/2 jug of perfect weekly left from Leslie's. Not sure what to do with them. Pool is crystal clear!!
    Thanks for all the pool information TFP web site!!!!
    Steve
    Steve- 19K IG PebbleTec (sandy beach color pebble) final plaster/pebble August 2015
    Jandy pro cartridge filter
    Jandy pro series Plus HP PHPF pump w/waterfall
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner- TF-100 w/SpeedStir
    50ppm Borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow!!!! You have been not only reading, but taken the advice to heart. Good for you! Especially happy for ditching the Nature2 and getting a good test kit. You've done it before things got out of hand. Yay!!!! Enjoy!

12. Back To Top    #12

Leslies may be willing to accept a return for the two unopened bottles. They've returned some things for me in the past. That right there would more than pay for your TF-100 investment.