Smoke from back of motor

robdac

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2014
Weston, FL
Lots of rain down and lightning down here in Florida last night with the remnants of Tropical Storm Erica. I wanted to pump some water out of my pool this morning.

I have a Pentair WFDS-30 2-speed pool pump. When it turned it on it was unusually loud but was draining the pool. After about 10 minutes I smelled the bad electrical smell coming from the pump. By the time I got over to it there was a little smoke coming from the back and then it hit the thermal protection and shut off automatically. No popped circuit breakers at the main panel. The motor housing was hot to the touch especially at the end farthest from the pump. I let everything cool for ten minutes and then turned it back on. As soon as I did there was, again, smoke coming from the motor and it sounded bad. I immediately shut it back down.

As background, this is a one year new to me pool/house where the previous owners maintained nothing. This appears to be the second motor on the pump. I estimate the pump was originally installed with the pool in 2003. No idea about the current motor. The motor has been getting more noisy lately and is usually hot to the touch when running.

So the question is, do I replace the motor only ($250 on Amazon), replace the pump and motor with an identical unit ($825), or go the variable speed route ($890 Amazon)? Or, could it be something else?

As I have no circulation I'm going to have to do something quickly besides adding bleach.

I bought just the motor (170 from Amazon for my Hayward super pump) and if I can ever figure out how to wire the **** thing it should be fine. It was also recommended to me to buy a new seal kit.

Good luck.

Pardon typos; sheep have hooves, not hands.

Is this it:

Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP Dual Spd. Motor Full Rate (Almond) - 071321S - INYOPools.com

A.O. Smith Centurion replacement motor for Pentair WhisperFlo full rated, dual speed pumps. Specifications: HP = 2, RPM = 3450/1750, Voltage = 230, Amps = 11.0/4.0, Service Factor = 1.30, Frame = 56Y, Shaft = Threaded.

Do you have a sump pump that you can put in pool and run the outlet hose to the other end to have circulation? This will keep you from having to rush to a decision and keep pool clear.

Hey, Thanks! That just might be it. So it's $429 for just the motor alone or $900 for the entire variable speed unit. Decisions decisions....

Good idea on the pump. I don't have one. Maybe I'll throw the kids in the pool each day until I get it replaced!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.