Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking down an above ground Intex ultra frame pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking down an above ground Intex ultra frame pool

Hi Everyone,

this is is my first post.

We live in Toronto Ontario and would like to hear from people who live in a similar climate and have an above ground Intex ultra frame pool.
    Must the pool be taken down for the winter? If so, can it be stored in a shed?
    thanks
    mario57
    12' X 24' X 52" Intex above ground Ultra Frame.
    1/2 hp pump, sand filter and a Raypack 106 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Taking down an above ground Intex ultra frame pool

I used to take mine down and store it in our shed. Left my 18' up two years in a row, with now problems. I drained the below the intake, drained and removed pump, storing it in the Unheated garage. We had a really cold winter last year, with 15 below zero temperatures. When I took the pool down in June to give to a friend, the posts still looked very good and the liner looked great.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've left my 15' metal frame up for the last 4 years. Sure, we don't get the temperature extremes that you do, but I've had no problems with mine.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In my reading here; I have noticed more trouble with leaks from folks who take them down and put them up from year to year, than from folks who don't
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in Manitoba, where it gets -35 in the winter, so we take it down every year. SO far no problem...........
    I give it a good scrubbing, then drain it. Once drained I take some towels and give it a good wiping, and then dry it inside it. Then we wipe down the outside wall, and take it apart. As we fold it up, we wipe and dry each exposed area of the bottom, and then fold again. Takes me only couple of hours to do the entire process after the pool is drained.
    I store it all rolled up, wrapped in a fabric tarp, in a heated shop. I would not store in cold storage myself as I think that is just asking for trouble with cracks, etc later. My brother used to take his down into the basement once it was all rolled up for storage.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I like that. The rolling up and the drying would make a big difference. Much less chance for seam splits and crease pin holes. I like that very much and will add it to my stuff to remember and suggest.

Thank you very much for posting that.

How many seasons on the same pool?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a Coleman Power Steel Frame 16' x 48" pool that we put up this summer. I am going to leave it up for the winter. A neighbor has an Intex steel framed pool and left it up last winter and it survived with no problem. And our last winter here was as cold and snowy as it could be. I have purchased a winter cover and air pillow and will hope for the best.
    Larry
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you
    what is the purpose of the air pillow?

mario

- - - Updated - - -

Hi
    has your friend had any issues with the pool?
    thank you
    Mario
    12' X 24' X 52" Intex above ground Ultra Frame.
    1/2 hp pump, sand filter and a Raypack 106 Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

This will be my first time using one but from what I have read a partially inflated air pillow goes under your pool cover to keep expanding ice from cracking your pool walls. It also helps keep some water off the cover.
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.