Newbie with an SWG - 2nd day - question on where to set percentages

Jul 30, 2015
Hurricane/Utah
We have had our pool for 30 plus days now. Our swg is on day 2 and our FC reading was a 3. We are running our 13,700 gallon pool pump for 9 hours a day. We currently have the percentage setting at %75. Where should we go from here on the percentage setting? I know to wait 24 hours between changing the setting. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

What is your CYA at? Keep testing the pool daily and see how the FC changes and just adjust the %age based on that once it is keeping at FC constant at your desired level.

To increase CYA you add CYA aka Cyanuric Acid aka Stabilizer. But it takes a week for it to fully dissolve and show up in your test results.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pools and their care! As you see, there a lot of variables involved in getting to your desired stable state. I've found that removing/stabilizing as many of the variables as possible to be a good approach. So, use Pool Math calculator to determine how much CYA to add to get up to your target (70-80). You can buy either solid or liquid stabilizer. Liquid is generally a fair amount more expensive but much quicker. Solid does take at least a few days to fully dissolve. Some folks use the sock method, some disburse over the pool area, some pour slowly into skimmer. Try to test your chlorine level daily and be consistent in where and what time you draw your sample. Remember that even with that, you can have swings in "normal" chlorine level based on changes in bather load, sunlight, rain/storm...The final variables are pump run time and % SWG time. If you intend on leaving your pump "on" time constant at 9 hours a day, you can begin to adjust SWG "on" % using your consistent chlorine testing results. It's a process and takes a bit of time to "dial in" your SWG for your pool and it's normal usage. I don't try and hit a specific number, just a reasonable range (based on CYA level), say 3-6. I tend to go higher in the range just to ensure an unexpected pool party (they do seem to happen) or tropical deluge doesn't bottom out (or nearly so) the chlorine level. It sounds like you're doing OK and I wouldn't be too quick to lower the % until you 'stabilize" the other variables as much as possible. With pools, slow and steady wins the race....unless of course it's a green mess and getting worse! I run my pump on very low speed for 15 hours a day. In my similar sized pool this allows me to drop SWG % to about 30% to generally maintain about 5 ppm Chlorine with a CYA of 70. Under most conditions, this results in a slow "creep" up in Chlorine level, so occasionally I'll dial it back to 20% to let Chlorine drift back.

I like to use my SWG as "insurance" that my FC will never bottom out. But knowing that there is a finite lifespan to salt cells, I like to save extra wear and tear on my cell by letting it run at a low % level. When something happens (like when my grandson pooped in the pool!) that makes me want a fast rise in FC I use liquid chlorine (aka "household bleach") to raise my FC level to cover it.

I would bring your pool up to desired FC level with liquid bleach, then let the SWG maintain that level and tweaking the % to fit the need. As your CYA level rises, so will your FC requirements. Please refer to this- Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Welcome to TFP.

What size SWG do you have? Every pool will be different, but for a reference, I have a very similar size pool and a AquaRite 40k. My percentage has settled at 25% run time for 6 hours of pump time. I generally keep my FC at around 5ish and then check it once a week with the FAS/DPD to get an accurate reading.

I also did not notice what you are using to test the water. Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

BTW, I made a newbie mistake with my SWG this weekend. When I measured the FC Friday night, it was 3.5. It was an hour before the pump was going to shut off so I turned it to 75% to get a little extra boost - with the intent to test and reset % in the morning. Yeah I forgot to do that and did not test again until Monday after work. FC was 20+ (I simply stopped wasting reagent at that point). So I figure my SWG will be off for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your help. Why does the chlorine range need to be between 3-6 on the FC? Does swg system need to be higher on the FC?

thanks
Our recommended FC amounts are based on how much CYA is in the pool and is found here, Chlorine CYA Chart.

The minimum amount of FC is the lowest amount that you should ever measure to prevent algae growth. If the FC drops below this amount for the amount of CYA in the pool then the pool is subject to algae growth. I like to measure at least the target amount to be on the safe side.

If you compare the FC requirements for SWG and Non-SWG pools you will see that SWG pools require a little less FC for the same CYA levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.