Silica sand vs. beach sand

Marci M

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Kapolei, Hawaii
We are just replenishing the sand in our filter. We spent $24 per bag of silica sand.

I live in Hawaii and I'm surrounded bu the most beautiful beaches full of FREE white sand. Is there any reason I can't get a few buctets to add to my filter?

Yup, while I believe all sand is silica, for your filter you are looking for a specific size sand. Too small and it will fit through the parts inside the filter and just blow back out into the pool. Too large and there is too much space between particles of sand to filter properly, thus the bad stuff your at trying to get out of the pool just goes right through the the filter and back into the pool.

Kind of like Goldilocks, you are looking for the sand to be just right. Silica pool sand has bee run through a series of screens to get just the right size sand in the bag.

Grab a glass of wine and go down to the beach and watch the sunset, but leave the sand there. It's just not right for your filter.

Something to keep in mind about beach sand. It is mostly crushed sea shell. From what I have been told so it is high in calcium. This is why it is bad to use as masonry sand when mixing mortar. I would also assume it is not the best idea for filter sand for this reason as well. Unless you are trying to raise the calcium level of your water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.