How to partially drain plaster ig pool to lower CYA

Min

Aug 11, 2015
Buena Park / California
My CYA is around 100-120 according to TF 100 testing kit.
According to my reading, only way to lower it is by draining the pool.
Please teach me how to drain the pool. I heard I could damage the pool if not done properly.

I see a drain on the bottom of my pool, in the deep end, but I do not know how to activate it. I don't see any switch or lever around the pool.
Only thing I see is just a lever for my DE filter to backwash.

Can I just use the backwash function to drain the pool? If I just put pool vac in the only skimmer I have and switch to backwash I should be able to pump out the pool water safely without letting air into the pump right?

And one more thing, why is my pump says WhisperFlo model no. WFE-3 on one side and A.O.Smith E-plus centurion switchless The energy saving motor on the other side??

please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 120
I can't help you with the motor, but I just performed some partial drains on my pool.

Some pools have a valve to bypass the filter to drain. If yours does, the skimmer also needs a valve to pull water from the main drain, and not the skimmer. You can backwash through the filter, but it is recommended to pull the filters first. They are not designed for hours of backwashing, and are expensive to replace.

My skimmer valve was missing when I bought my house (along with other pool parts), so pulling water from the main drain was out. Also, to me, if the valve failed, and started sucking air from the now dry skimmer, I didn't want to replace a burned out pool pump for hundreds of dollars.

At the suggestion of a member here, I purchased a submersible pump from Harbor Freight. That was a good move. Easy to setup, and independent of the pool system, so no risk to the system. Here is what I got:

Pacific Hydrostar 3/4 HP Submersible Dirty Water Pump Item 69299 about $60
1.5" x 25' Heavy Duty Discharge hose Item 95391 about $15
Hose clamp from Home Depot or auto parts store about $2
Extension cord

That's all you need, and you are ready to go! Be sure to plug this into a GFCI outlet for safety. No use getting electrocuted draining your pool.

Pool pumps have a wet end and a motor. The motor is usually made by a motor company like AO Smith and then Pentair makes the wet end and impeller and puts it all together and calls it a Whisperflow pool pump.

Here are some more pictures of my pool equipments.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I have a switch that lights up a pool light, 1 skimmer connected to a pool vac, 2 holes on the side of the pool that returns water, 1 hole that fills up the pool when I turn the knob in above picture. I have a de filter, gas pool heater that is turned off. I have two timers and two shut off switches for the pool pump but only the right ones are working. PB once told me probably previous owner had a failed timer and instead of replacing it he just installed another one next to it.
I still cannot find any switch or valve that might drain the pool. As you can see in above picture, there is a drain in the deep end of the pool.
And is it normal for water to leak whenever I turn on the knob to fill the pool? Leak is coming from that white circular flat next to the knob that I turn to fill the water. Leak decreases as I turn the knob to full blast. Does that circular flat has a function?? I wonder what it does.

Another couple question I have that is not related to this post:

Is that a fire hydrant next to my pool?!? Its opening is already popped open and does not seem to be in use anymore. Just wondering what and why is it in my backyard next to the pool.
And there are some cracks and chips around the pool grout and concreat. Does it pose any threat to the pool integrity? How do I fix it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"And is it normal for water to leak whenever I turn on the knob to fill the pool? Leak is coming from that white circular flat next to the knob that I turn to fill the water. Leak decreases as I turn the knob to full blast. Does that circular flat has a function?? I wonder what it does. "

That's an anti-siphon valve, and no it should not leak. The diaphragm needs replacing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.