Two year old heater leaking.

Aug 29, 2015
Marysville, Ohio
I had a pool installed two years ago and had a Raypak natural gas heater installed with it. I noticed it leaking a little a week ago and within a couple of days it was a major leak. The leak is coming from the heat exchanger. My pool guy told me that low pH of the water had destroyed the exchanger. Sadly I will admit that while I did maintain the pH last summer I really did little to maintain it this year. I do know it never got way out of line because I would have noticed it on the test strips. I am just wondering if it is surprising that the exchanger was destroyed so quickly?
Thanks!

No surprise to me. I've seen it happen. I replaced a heat exchanger on a just over 1yr old Rheem. Then this summer I get a call from them again. Guess what? The heat exchanger I replaced almost a year ago, leaking. Very aggressive PH. It happens.

BTW, test strips are not a good way to judge your pools chemicals. Get a decent Taylor test kit. Way better than those silly strips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.