Planning for next year

rbinn

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2015
Nanaimo BC
As summer in my part of the world comes to an end I start looking at upgrades for next year. This is what I did this year for my "happy place".

-Bought another ABG pool (9 ×18 4000gal.)
-Upgraded to sand filter and 3/4 hp pump
-hard plumbed
-added Hayward skimmer
- Built deck for pool, added to existing
-added 120 sq ft of solar collectors
-added Hayward solar automation
-learned the TFP method!

Its been a labour of love, and I have enjoyed every minute!

Over the winter I have my heart set on adding a small supplemental heater for the solar. Right now I am only getting morning sun till about 1 on the panels. Earlier in the year up until end of July it was great. There is no room on my pump/filter pad so anything I add would either sit on the lower deck about 10 ft from pool or would be a minimum of 30 away. There would be no option to go under ground for either plumbing or wiring.

My thought was to add a Hayward electric 11kw spa heater to bump me up to about 82-83 from around 70 to 75, keeping in mind its strictly supplemental.

We usually have a cool wet fall here but its fairly warm.

I would love to hear some opinions from people with a similiar setup.

Thank you,
Rob

I'm assuming you are using a solar cover and keep the pool covered when not in use. Keeping the heat you have is always cheaper than the alternative.

Thin or thick, it seems to make little difference. The bubble wrap keeps the heat in and helps prevent evaporative cooling.

I really want to hard plumb! So tired of dealing with hoses. I cannot get through a summer without blowing at least one. Would love to hear more about your hard plumb upgrade.

I changed out the 1 1/4 Hydro Force plastic for 1 1/2 PVC. I left about 2 feet of soft sided high pressure hose on both the return and the skimmer side. I did this because I don't know how much my pool will collapse when I drain it down a foot or so for winter...The space between my house and pool is only about 3 ft so it's pretty compact job..
With the better pump and larger flow through my water has been crystal clear all summer. I got lots of comments from the neighbors...
It's not hard, you just have to plan it out!

Cheers,
Rob

Natural gas is so cheap here in the us...I use a pentaire 125k on 15,000 gallons to get from 74 to 88 F in about 8 hours, then solar cover keeps it close to that for about 4-5 days, then heat for a couple hours here and there to keep it there. Really cheap convenient heat for us...

I only have gas to the property line so it would be a complete install. Not sure if the cost is really worth it for my little pool? Electricity here is 7.97 cents for the first 666 kWh then it jumps to 11.95 cents per kWh. Maybe one of the heating gurus can throw some numbers at me to give me an idea of cost? I'm going to add another 48 sq ft of collectors for next year to help offset the heating cost. I was also considering a propane heater but I have really no where to run anything as my space is just so limited..

Rob

Can you run that yellow plastic flexible pe gas pipe from your property line to where the heater sits? I was able to buy 100' of pipe for $46 dollars and about $90 for both risers from the supply house. To keep our 16x32 15,0000 gallon costs me about $ 60 a month to keep at 88 degrees farenheit in the summer...no idea about electric heat costs...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just spoke an electrician about my pool equipment set up and what I have planned. I will need to adjust a lot of pvc fittings but it looks like we can do a propane tank system. Im pretty happy as I think the hybrid system will work well for us.
Sometimes you just need a different perspective..
So I guess ill be on the hunt for a 100-150000 BTU propane heater this winter!

R

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.