Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water tinged simply not clearing up

1. Back To Top    #1

Water tinged simply not clearing up

My pool started out crystal clear, and after about 4 weeks, it developed a turquoise hue that I can't seem to correct. I purchased a Taylor testing kit with the following results.

PH 7.6
    ALC 100
    CYA 60.

I dumped in a gallon of liquid cholorine per the pool math suggestions. It's been several days with the sand filter running constantly, but there is still the turquoise hew to the water.

I've changed the sand in the filter, figuring that the filter was not cleaning, but still no luck.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Type: Above Ground , Liner: Vinyl , Size: 15'x30' oval , Capacity: 10,500 gallons (approx.)

Filter: Sand , Valve: 6 Position Multiport, Pump: 1 1/2 HP, Inline Chlorine Dispenser

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Water tinged simply not clearing up

You forgot to post the FC and CC numbers.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I want to make sure I am reading this right.............you tested then added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine.

You have not added any chlorine since that one time?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry about that.

Chlorine 10.0
    FC 1.6
    PH 7.6
    ALC 100
    CYA 60

I just dumped a gallon of liquid chlorine in the pool last night, I took the measurements This morning.
    Type: Above Ground , Liner: Vinyl , Size: 15'x30' oval , Capacity: 10,500 gallons (approx.)

Filter: Sand , Valve: 6 Position Multiport, Pump: 1 1/2 HP, Inline Chlorine Dispenser

5. Back To Top    #5

I added the chlorine last night, and took the measurements this morning.

Chlorine 10.0
    FC 1.6
    PH 7.6
    ALC 100
    CYA 60

6. Back To Top    #6

chlorine 10.0 Do you mean FC as in the powder test?

FC? Do you mean CC? How did you get 1.6?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your interest Kim.

Using the Taylor K-2006 test kit, after the combined chlorine test, I added 8 drops R-0871 until my test sample went from pink to colorless. 8 x .2 = 1.6

I'm new using the test kit as previously I went to my pool supplier for water testing.

Tony C.

8. Back To Top    #8

Lets back you up a bit............

FC=Free Chlorine=the good stuff that will keep your water clear. You get this by adding the powder FAS-DPD to your sample of water. I would use the 10 line to save your supplies.

When you add a large scoop of the powder with the little blue spoon into the pool water the water should turn pink. See this video to see just how to do it.

How to Use a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 - YouTube

CC is when you add the R-0003 and it turns pink then you add the drops to clear it. You do not want your CC to be more than .5

I hope the video helps.

Kim

CC=the bad stuff

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again Kim,

I just retested while watching the video. Using the powder and the drops, my FC is 10 (which i'm assuming is because of gallon of liquid chlorine I added last night), and the CC still comes in at 1.6

Would too much chlorine turn the water turquoise??

10. Back To Top    #10

Nope That is just the right amount of chlorine..........

Now when you say turquoise.......is there any way you can take and post a pic that shows the color. Looking down at the steps would be best so I can see how clear it is. You can use phototbucket or such to link them.

Where is Bethpage?

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Bethpage is in Long Island, New York.
    I hope the images come through

- - - Updated - - -

20150829_172026_001.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

Btw, if you are using the 10ml sample in your test vial for FC and CC, you multiply your drops by 0.5. The 1.6 CC is either a typo or an error in testing.

13. Back To Top    #13

I would call that cloudy blue and with the high CC it's time to SLAM that pool.

You can use the 10ml sample size so your results will be in increments of .5 which will save you reagents (don't need as many drops).

Please read the article in Pool School about the SLAM process and follow the directions completely to the end.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Did the pool get worse just after you added the chlorine? From the looks of it you may have a problem with metals in your pool. Have you used any algaecide or pool strore mineral systems (both of which can / do contain metals)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

You can look in my siggy to find the link to the SLAM.

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

Can you remove those stairs to clean them really well?

17. Back To Top    #17

Funny, I saw the name and said I know people with that last name. Then Kim said you're from bethpage, and that's where I was from too. So I guess I know you, or at least some of your family.

With the high CC number and the way the water looks, you definitely need to slam the pool. I haven't gone crazy trying to find the best prices on bleach or anything, but I know ace hardware had 10% liquid chlorine for 3.50/gallon. Depends how big your pool is, but I would gather up some chlorine to get ready to start the slam.

I assume you're going to get ready to close the pool in a month or so, at which time it will be perfect for you to drain water, and when you refill in the spring your cya number should come down right where you want it.

18. Back To Top    #18

Just a quick update. Great Success.
    I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to comment and suggest. Kim, that's you!!
    20150904_094811.jpg

19. Back To Top    #19

WOW! YOU did it!!!!!!!! I can see every little detail in your liner! GOOD JOB!

Kim