Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolvergnuegen parts

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolvergnuegen parts

Parts for The Pool Cleaner seem to only be sold as kits, adding significant unnecessary cost. Does anyone sell specific parts? For example, I'd like a steering shaft, yet they only sell it as a steering assembly kit (part # 896584000-136). The same holds true for the front right gear drive assembly (luckily, that shaft can be reversed when one side is worn). I'd appreciate being put in touch with a source for parts rather than just kits.
    ~20,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 15'x35' kidney-shaped plaster pool w/ Hayward DE filter and 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner". I have a Stenner 3GPD fixed rate chlorine pump.
    This is at a rental house, and I only get there one day a week. The pool was replastered on October 20, 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolvergnuegen parts

The only parts sold are those with part numbers in the manual. So if it is not called out as a separate part number, I don't think you will find it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

That makes as much sense as buying a new car whenever you run out of gas. I guess companies just want to force people to buy more than they actually need. Aren't our landfills full enough, already?
    ~20,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 15'x35' kidney-shaped plaster pool w/ Hayward DE filter and 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner". I have a Stenner 3GPD fixed rate chlorine pump.
    This is at a rental house, and I only get there one day a week. The pool was replastered on October 20, 2015.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is not even remotely the same comparison. It's more like having to buy an axle for your car because the bearings went bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It's still a waste as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure that someone could make a lot of money by making aftermarket parts for this pool cleaner. Most people wouldn't choose to replace an axle when they could just replace the bearings.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

its probably because the parts wear at the same rate, when you put a new part and an old part together they can kill each other.. then you will need to buy both parts again... better to replace with all new parts especially when it comes to plastic parts..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

The shaft gets tweaked when the cleaner sucks up rocks, but that doesn't seem to affect the rest of the assembly.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    its probably because the parts wear at the same rate, when you put a new part and an old part together they can kill each other.. then you will need to buy both parts again... better to replace with all new parts especially when it comes to plastic parts..

Exactly right. From an engineering perspective, machines are typically built from a modular or unit perspective. Once one part in a "unit" degrades, it is typically more efficient and desire able to replace everything in that unit. It is also more cost effective for the manufacturer to stock, ship and sell units rather than individual parts.

A better example would be a pump rebuild kit. Often all you need to replace in a pump is a shaft seal or a wet-end gasket. However, you typically buy the full kit of seals, o-rings and nuts & bolts because it makes more sense just to rebuild it with all new components rather than replacing just one and then having another separate part within the same unit fail.

To the OP, you can buy the kit, replace the part you need to and then you'll have the spares you need to fix other parts as they wear and fail.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought the kits, but I'd like to have extra shafts on hand, as I'm not in control over what goes into that pool. The kits are $35, while the shafts probably wouldn't even be $10.