Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - how to maintain non-circulating water?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - how to maintain non-circulating water?

Our 12,000 gallon inground pool was installed this week and we were advised not to swim in it until they concrete is poured so that it is securely locked into place. They filled it with water just below the skimmer, so there is nothing circulating. I presume this is because the concrete will make a complete mess and they are trying to keep system clean. They will clean the pool for us after concrete is poured. Unfortunately, the concrete guys are two weeks behind due to all the rain we've had this summer.

So we have a pool filled with water just sitting our back for the next two weeks. They put in one package of shock but I know this is not going to last until concrete is installed and I don't want algae and things growing in there before we even get our first swim in!

What should I do to maintain the water and how can I go about circulating it around the pool? They put up the pretty orange construction fence so I can't really add stuff directly to the pool and then try to swish it around.....

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
    12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - how to maintain non-circulating water?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Really you need to add ~1/3 bottle of bleach every day and thoroughly brush the pool to mix it in.

OR ... a 1/3 pound of Dichlor to start adding CYA to the pool. Just make sure the pool company does not add a lot of stabilizer when then start up the pool.

You should not add anything without mixing it around.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

maybe pick up a sump pump at a local cheap tools store. then you could at least have that keeping a flow of water moving around.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    maybe pick up a sump pump at a local cheap tools store. then you could at least have that keeping a flow of water moving around.
    That is a good idea
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the welcome Jason! I'll add the bleach daily and brush it the best I can.

We do have a sump pump that we could use pabeader, didn't even think of that! Thanks!
    12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

At least initially, the brushing should keep you in an okay place.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.