Hayward SuperPump Wiring

Jul 4, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Anyone familiar with the wiring for Hayward Superpump AO Smith 1HP pump? I attached a picture before I took it apart. I took the motor off and I'm trying to reconnect it, but the wiring is confusing me. Three black wires coming in and I can tell one is the Ground, but the other two wires don't seem to have markings. I don't know which of the two screws to connect them to since the wires look the same. Any help would be appreciated.

20150827_113813.jpg

I hope that the breaker is 240 V because using a black wire for a neutral is a code violation if that is 120 V. Actually, the black for ground is also a violation unless it is wrapped with green tape to reidentify it.

I don't think it is allowable to reidentify neutrals but I could be wrong. Regardless, wrap the neutral, if existing, with white tape at the minimum.

No...the polarity of the 240 V doesn't matter. The pump is wired to run a particular direction regardless of the polarity of the power hook-up.

I'm just concerned that all the wires are black. That equipment ground should have some green tape wrapped around it. If you mix that up and put one of the hot blacks on the ground, you have seriously dangerous situation because you've energized the entire case of the motor!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.