Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward SuperPump Wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward SuperPump Wiring

Anyone familiar with the wiring for Hayward Superpump AO Smith 1HP pump? I attached a picture before I took it apart. I took the motor off and I'm trying to reconnect it, but the wiring is confusing me. Three black wires coming in and I can tell one is the Ground, but the other two wires don't seem to have markings. I don't know which of the two screws to connect them to since the wires look the same. Any help would be appreciated.

20150827_113813.jpg
    Installed 2010: 18X36X6ft 29000 gls, SWG, Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter. 2 skimmers/returns, Polaris cleaner aka Arthur, Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward SuperPump Wiring

Is the breaker 230V? If so, then the 2 black wires do not matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I hope that the breaker is 240 V because using a black wire for a neutral is a code violation if that is 120 V. Actually, the black for ground is also a violation unless it is wrapped with green tape to reidentify it.

I don't think it is allowable to reidentify neutrals but I could be wrong. Regardless, wrap the neutral, if existing, with white tape at the minimum.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

I think so, the pump/motor breaker switch on the circuit panel is bigger so that means it's usually 230V, right? Someone told me if I installed those other two black wires the wrong way then the pump would run backwards too?
    Installed 2010: 18X36X6ft 29000 gls, SWG, Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter. 2 skimmers/returns, Polaris cleaner aka Arthur, Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

No...the polarity of the 240 V doesn't matter. The pump is wired to run a particular direction regardless of the polarity of the power hook-up.

I'm just concerned that all the wires are black. That equipment ground should have some green tape wrapped around it. If you mix that up and put one of the hot blacks on the ground, you have seriously dangerous situation because you've energized the entire case of the motor!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

The ground has green tape on it...I attached a picture of it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wrap A LOT more green tape around it. That tiny piece could fall off.
    ----Chris----

8. Back To Top    #8

will do, thank you.