Gas Line Hook-Up

Jul 6, 2013
My contractor ran a plumbing line from my pool heater to the gas meter. They didn't do the hook up. It was my understanding that they would connect everything. Is it the norm for the gas company to make the connection into the meter or is the PB or contractor usually the one responsible for that?

Thank you.

19k IG Radiant Fusion pool, 750 gal spa, spillway and waterfalls, IntelliFlo VS / SuperFlo VS w/ Timer, Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter 420 sqft. Complete High Flo, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, Pool Cleaner suction-side cleaner, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch 8SC controls w/ ScreenLogic2, city water supply, Intellibrite Pool/Spa Lights, Hayward IG Skimmer

Maybe the contractor isn't licensed to work on gas. You often find that is the case - anyone can rough it in but the final connections have to be done by a licensed gas dude.

Being a retired plumber I've hooked up many lines from meters, the gas Co. is responsible for the gas feed to the meter and the actual meter. IMO the contractor should hook it up. Also if I was running the line I would have started at the meter and worked towards the heater, no big deal defiantly will need a union or Right/Left hand nipple. Keep in mind codes might be deferent in your area call the gas Co. see if they are responsible. BTW i'm sure theres a 24 hour test required by the city.

Who does the hookup all depends on the area of the country and the local rules. In my area, the homeowner can do work on anything on the house side of the meter. The gas co. will require a 15 min air test for any "turn-ons" but doesn't require anything for existing work here.

In Tucson, if you want to hook up any new gas equipment to the existing meter, it has to be done by Southwest Gas. The plumber has to stub it all the way up to the meter and ensure that it passes pressure/leak testing and then the gas company will hook up the line. One reason for this is the gas company may have to install a larger gas meter on your property as the meters are rated to deliver only up to a set number of BTU/hr. My gas meter, because of the outdoor fire pit and pool heater, is one size larger than all of my neighbors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.