Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Ecostar 3400VSP Error

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Pentair Ecostar 3400VSP Error

Yesterday I noticed my pump wasn't running during the scheduled times so I went to see if my wife had shut it off for some reason (trying to save power). The display on the pump shows "Drive Error! AC voltage too low". What does this actually mean, and what can I do about it? Based on my limited electrical understanding, it should be getting voltage, or not, the amount of power going to the pump can't change. And if it did it should just be off if it's not getting enough power.
    20'x40' 36,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    Pentair Quad DE 80 Cartridge filter w/ NO backwash valve
    1HP Variable Speed Pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    20-25year old pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Ecostar 3400VSP Error

Is this what you have?
    https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/EcoStar.pdf

Drive Error!
    AC voltage too low
    Indicates that the line voltage has dropped below 185 VAC and pump stops. Verify
    that line voltage is within 10% of pump rated voltage.

Check all breakers. Did she turn it off with a switch or on the motor itself? If switch check that it is back on. Is motor making any noise at all?
    Stop/Resume: This button is used to stop the pump to allow strainer basket cleaning, etc. When this button is
    pressed, the pump will remain stopped until the button is pressed a second time to resume normal operation.
    When the pump is stopped, the red LED beside the button will illuminate to indicate that the pump has been
    stopped.

Good luck hope this helps!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

Pump currently has power, my wife never turned it off. Breaker is good. I'm aware of the Stop/Resume button, it won't do anything as long as the error is present.

1HP Variable Speed Pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    20-25year old pool

4. Back To Top    #4

So you checked the breaker and both legs are fine? Sometime one leg of the 240 V will throw so half the voltage is reaching your pump and it stops running. Sometimes it doesn't LOOK like a breaker was thrown but they can be. Shut both legs off and then flip 'em both back on.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

Wouldn't having half the voltage cause it to shut down completely? In my head I'm comparing it to any standard electronics, if there's not enough power it just won't turn on at all. Maybe pumps are different... Anyhow, I double checked and both legs are good!
    1HP Variable Speed Pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    20-25year old pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, so the breaker is physically okay but how about electronically? Time to get a meter and measure the voltage at the main feed into the sub-panel...then the pump breaker...at the pump switch (if external)...at the pump (and switch if on the pump). Let's figure out if and where the voltage is lower than it should be.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

Reboot the thing first. Breaker off and back on, then turn the pump off and back on. Is there a reset button? push it.
    If non of that works, take the fan cover off the back and spin the fan, then try again.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Reboot the thing first. Breaker off and back on, then turn the pump off and back on. Is there a reset button? push it.
    If non of that works, take the fan cover off the back and spin the fan, then try again.
    I agree. There was another thread I read and they turned all power to pump off over night and the next morning powered up and all worked. Stranger things have happened!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8