Running pool pump without a main drain

Aug 29, 2015
Wellington/Fl
Hello pool community, very excited to be here. We just bought a house from bank and recently found out that the pool has a leak in the main drain. We are trying to run pump without it and it's not priming. The pool tech came and blocked the main drain from the bottom with a plug so that water does leak. We have just installed a Pentair Ineliflow pump with self priming capacity. Very new to pool so I will appreciate any help. In the mean time I will start reading all the great posts to understand the pool functioning. Thank you for your help.

Check out the link in my signature: Fake Main Drain. :)

Short answer: Yes, you can run a fully functioning pool just fine on Skimmer suction only.

However, you may want some kind of automated pool cleaner to pick up debris that the MD might normally get.

Put a hose in the pump basket and run it until water overflows the basket, put the lid on and start the pump. Give it at least a minute to prime. Look at your watch, a minute is eternity when waiting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.