Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pool pump without a main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Running pool pump without a main drain

Hello pool community, very excited to be here. We just bought a house from bank and recently found out that the pool has a leak in the main drain. We are trying to run pump without it and it's not priming. The pool tech came and blocked the main drain from the bottom with a plug so that water does leak. We have just installed a Pentair Ineliflow pump with self priming capacity. Very new to pool so I will appreciate any help. In the mean time I will start reading all the great posts to understand the pool functioning. Thank you for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Running pool pump without a main drain

If you had a pool tech there I'm sure he made sure that your water level was high enough (half way up the skimmer box frame)....right???

Start reading Pool School - Pool School too! Lots to learn there as well as the posts in the forum section.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Jose, CA

Check out the link in my signature: Fake Main Drain.

Short answer: Yes, you can run a fully functioning pool just fine on Skimmer suction only.

However, you may want some kind of automated pool cleaner to pick up debris that the MD might normally get.
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Put a hose in the pump basket and run it until water overflows the basket, put the lid on and start the pump. Give it at least a minute to prime. Look at your watch, a minute is eternity when waiting.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach