Old light niche renovation

Aug 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
So we are finally, after many years of holding off, doing a major renovation of our pool and deck. Trying to balance DIY with professional help.

As I have a lot of experience with electrical, I am taking care of bringing the pool light up to current code. As is typical for a pool built in 1950, there was red brass going from the niche to a box on the deck (basically 12" from the edge of the pool). From there it was rusting galvanized conduit to the light switch. The red brass was pretty much embedded in extra cement poured around the shell so it wasn't recoverable - had to remove it to the niche.

About the niche: it seems to be free formed concrete/plaster with the end of the red brass pipe end simply stuck through the far end. There's metal ring embedded in pool wall where the original brass Aladdin 500C light retainer ring is held in by brass bolts. So it isn't like more "modern" metal niches.

Given the distance to the j-box is about 15 ft+ I'd rather not pay for the red brass (if I can even find a good source) and rather go with the PVC/#8 route (In fact, I don't think the red brass was even all that great as a grounding source - it had developed a pretty thick patina after 65 years). But there two issues:

Best way to reseal the rear of the niche around the pvc?

Where to attach the #8 as there is no bonding lug?

Replacing the pool light with a new Hayward 120V LED, btw.

We have a similar setup (late 1950s pool with a box close from the pool edge under the diving board that was corroded and falling apart). When I had an electrician experienced with pools come look at it, he said that a niche that old wouldn't have a proper place to connect the bonding wire, so he'd have to run red brass to the new junction box so the conduit could serve as the bond connection. This project will involve cutting concrete and lowering the water, so we haven't had it done yet.

I'm comfortable with many things electrical around the house, but pool bonding and wiring is beyond that. If you can do the cutting and digging (and later covering), it might not be too expensive to have an electrician do the conduit and wiring and be sure it's right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.