Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool New Pool

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, so I figured it would make sense to post some pics of my new pool. I have some questions I will be asking, but I will put those in the appropriate places!

Thanks!

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Pool

Welcome to TFP Chris,

Your pool looks amazing. Please take the time to put all the details of your pool and equipment in your signature line. You can look at mine and others for examples. That allows us to give you help and advice without asking you the same questions over and over. If you read the intro page you know that our methods and approach to pool care is based on hard science and differ dramatically from your local pool store's advice. Reading the Pool School page (button at upper right of this page) will provide you with a good basic understanding of our methods.

We hope you will join the thousands of pool owners here who have a Trouble Free Pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Of course the first question you are going to encounter is whether you are using one of the Recommended Test Kits
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

How's this?!? Thanks Chief!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ceedubbadubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Of course the first question you are going to encounter is whether you are using one of the Recommended Test Kits
    Hey jblizzle, I am currently using Leslie's Basic Poolcare DPD Test Kit. Guessing it's not super good?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I really messed up the quoting, and I can't figure out how to delete posts! Sorry for muddying up this thread!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey jblizzle, I am currently using Leslie's Basic Poolcare DPD Test Kit. Guessing it's not super good?
    Last edited by ceedubbadubba; 08-28-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Didn't include quote

5. Back To Top    #5

There, now my signature should be there. It didn't save the first time because it was too long.
    Ceedubbadubba (Chris) -- Lake Elsinore, CA. 14k gallon Pebble play pool/spa (3.5-5.5-3.5), Hayward 400k BTU Heater, cartridge filter 5025, EcoStar variable speed 3hp pump, Goldline PS-4 Automation System w/ remote & AutoConnect Platform (Cell phone control), Goldline Salt System, Hayward ThePoolCleaner Vacuum, 360 degree rock coping with 2 water rocks and a built in fire bowl, real peat moss accents along with 8 starfish and skull.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi and welcome to TFP, where the water is always clear and the people are super nice! Love your pool! My curiosity is piqued by a few words in your signature, "with 8 starfish and skull."
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

If you do intend to follow the TFP method, you will need a good test kit. There are only two that we recommend and the TF-100 is the best of the two. Both kits use the same reagents, but the TF-100 has more of the ones that you will be using the most, making it the better bargain. I would also recommend you order a SpeedStir, don't even ask why, just order it. You can thank me later. Here's where you can get the kit if you are ready to get started.

TFTestkits.net

While waiting for your new toy, it's time to start studying Pool School. The button at the upper right of this page will take you there. Lots of information. It takes a while to get through all of it and may take some reading, re reading, and study for it to all fit together. Also have a look at PoolMath it is a valuable tool. It allows you to put in your test results and tells you just what you need to add to your pool to correct any imbalance.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by FunFinder View Post
    Hi and welcome to TFP, where the water is always clear and the people are super nice! Love your pool! My curiosity is piqued by a few words in your signature, "with 8 starfish and skull."
    Haha you can kind of see the skull and one starfish in one of my pics. That pic was done before it was finished though. A good number of the starfish are underwater, but I will try to get a good pic of those too.

Ceedubbadubba (Chris) -- Lake Elsinore, CA. 14k gallon Pebble play pool/spa (3.5-5.5-3.5), Hayward 400k BTU Heater, cartridge filter 5025, EcoStar variable speed 3hp pump, Goldline PS-4 Automation System w/ remote & AutoConnect Platform (Cell phone control), Goldline Salt System, Hayward ThePoolCleaner Vacuum, 360 degree rock coping with 2 water rocks and a built in fire bowl, real peat moss accents along with 8 starfish and skull.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

Nice pool! Sig looks good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    If you do intend to follow the TFP method, you will need a good test kit. There are only two that we recommend and the TF-100 is the best of the two. Both kits use the same reagents, but the TF-100 has more of the ones that you will be using the most, making it the better bargain. I would also recommend you order a SpeedStir, don't even ask why, just order it. You can thank me later. Here's where you can get the kit if you are ready to get started.

TFTestkits.net

While waiting for your new toy, it's time to start studying Pool School. The button at the upper right of this page will take you there. Lots of information. It takes a while to get through all of it and may take some reading, re reading, and study for it to all fit together. Also have a look at PoolMath it is a valuable tool. It allows you to put in your test results and tells you just what you need to add to your pool to correct any imbalance.
    Wow! That stuff ain't cheap! I'll look into it. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Make sure you also order the "Speed Stir". Can't live without it. Oh, amazing pool by the way. Looks like two completely different places from day & night. Very nice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks!! Here are some other pics I took. I'm the most excited about my beer fridge hidden in the rock!

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. ,cdd

Keep your posts under this thread. It is VERY helpful to see your entire story in one place as some issues are interconnected.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

My darn server won't let me see the pic. I have to wait until I get home. But a beer fridge in the rocks? ... now THAT's got my attention.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Wow! That stuff ain't cheap! I'll look into it. Thanks!
    Considering the investment in a pool, a good test kit expensive? Not really. It will pay for it self many times over. One trip to a pool stor (don't go there) and you will be sent home with hundreds of dollars in unnecessary chemicals. Then you can go again and the will sell you more to fix the problems the first batch caused.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

16. Back To Top    #16

I know I kind of walked into that one chief . I was actually counting the minutes until somebody responded with those exact words.

Do most people here completely maintain their pool on their own? I'm guessing most don't get pool guys.

17. Back To Top    #17

Having maintained my own water now for a while, I could never imagine anyone else doing it for me. Just like if you owned a classic car, you would never want another mechanic touching it unless you absolutely had to. Plus, with the proper test kit, it's quite easy.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Yes, most here maintain their own pool. Since you have a SWG it's pretty easy. Just takes some regular testing, adjusting the settings as needed, and a occasional addition of acid to control pH. That's usually about it for a salt pool.

I wouldn't trust my pool chemistry to anyone else. It is too important. Letting the pH get out of whack can result in thick scale all over the surface of a pool, or even worse. It can actually etch and cause permanent, irreparable damage to the pool.

What we teach here is how to maintain a pool simply and easily using common chemicals. No magic potions from the pool store, that will cost a lot, but are really just something you could buy in a grocery store or hardware store for very little. No trusting the advice you get from a high school kid who works at a pool store for a summer job. Just good solid test methods and managing the water chemistry based on solid science. There are thousands of satisfied pool owners here and experts to answer every question. They will assist and guide you through pool ownership.

The only goal is to make sure you have a Trouble Free Pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

19. Back To Top    #19

Wow! I thought your pool was cool just with the starfish and skull! The beer fridge in the rock is just brilliant! And I don't even drink beer! *picks up TFP megaphone, "hey y'all, come see this!!"
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks! It's my favorite part for sure. From the house, it just looks like a cool rock formation with moss growing all over it. Then, you get up to the deck and you see the fridge.

My other favorite part is the real peat moss on all the rocks. When the rock guy begged me to do it, I was nervous. But, he was right, it makes it look much more authentic!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast