Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oil based stain spilled in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Oil based stain spilled in pool

here is the deal, a very small amount of Minwax wood oil based stain was spilled in the pool, my guess is a teaspoon or less. Of course it looked like an oil spill on the water, it dissipated fairly quickly. Any chemist's out there see any issue, health wise or water quality wise? This was a week ago, and pool has been down a few days for repairs. I am just wondering if this will mess up the water quality or the filter media, paper filters.

Thanks
    16x30 gunite/plaster, 15,500 gal, Flagstone coping, 3'-6' depth plus bench and sundeck, bubbler, Hayward 1-1/2hp 2pd Tristar pump, Hayward 550 cartridge filter, 320 Chlorinator, Smart Ozone Sanitizer, Hayward Viper cleaner, 1 skimmer, 2 drains, 3 returns, 1 deck bubbler, Hayward booster pump for cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Oil based stain spilled in pool

Assuming your FC levels stayed at least at "normal" for a few days, that teaspoonful is either gone or stuck to some plumbing somewhere and it will be gone soon.....it's too small to worry about. Probably a half-cup would give you some trouble.

Search the forum for "oil spill" and I think you'll find "Pig" something that will do the trick for more something larger. Glad it was so small.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, me too, and I am guessing, it may have been 1/2 teaspoon. Good to know, I figured boats pour oil out when in the water and we swim in the lakes full of oil skimming on top the water.
    16x30 gunite/plaster, 15,500 gal, Flagstone coping, 3'-6' depth plus bench and sundeck, bubbler, Hayward 1-1/2hp 2pd Tristar pump, Hayward 550 cartridge filter, 320 Chlorinator, Smart Ozone Sanitizer, Hayward Viper cleaner, 1 skimmer, 2 drains, 3 returns, 1 deck bubbler, Hayward booster pump for cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Exxon Valdez....
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN