Think I have a leak / hole in my liner

So I already have small leaks in my pump and sand filter. Already planned on replacing the pump, sand in the sand filter, the sand filter cap, and all hoses. However over the last few weeks I've noticed my water levels drop quickly. Normally this is a sign of a hole in my hose, but they look ok. I did an inspection around the out side of the pool and found a puddle on the outside of the pool in one area. I put on a set of my sons goggles and inspected the liner all around that area especially since I have a black lab that loves to swim (she is never allowed in alone and normally stays away from the sides and obviously never touches the bottom), but see no signs of a hole. Does anyone have any recommendations for locating where its leaking from?

I believe you can use a little bottle of liquid food dye (red would be best) and while in the pool with your goggles squirt a little bit near the suspected hole and monitor to see if the red coloring is sucked into that spot.

If there is no obvious rip check the seams in the liner carefully. You can squirt leak detection dye around the seams to see if it gets sucked into the liner anywhere. Also check openings for the return and skimmer.

When I had my leak detection guys out they placed their palms on the liner and pushed their hands together slowly. They went over the whole pool in a pattern. They said you can see the white on the underside of the liner where the leak is.

It must work because they found 22 pin sized holes in my liner.

If there is no obvious rip check the seams in the liner carefully. You can squirt leak detection dye around the seams to see if it gets sucked into the liner anywhere. Also check openings for the return and skimmer.

Leak appears to be no where near the skimmer (half way around the pool from there). I suspected it might be a seam, I'm going to try the dye / food coloring this weekend and see what happens. Unfortunately the liner is only 2 years old, and I'm sure since I let the dog swim in the pool even it the seam is discovered to be the issue they will probably void my warranty because of it.

Update- So I bought food coloring and went around the areas of the pool I suspect may have a leak. Sorry to say the experiment was inconclusive. I saw no visible evidence that the food coloring was drawn to what might be a leak. Now this is by no means conclusive, as I'm now wondering if I should have tried this experiment without the pump running. I spoke with my local pool store (sold me the pool and the replacement liner) and though they tell me they can patch a leak if I find it they aren't skilled in locating holes, and couldn't recommend anyone to me. I filled the pool up to normal yesterday afternoon, and so far the water level is still where I keep it, so if there is a leak its currently not a big one, in fact if it weren't for the wet ground in that one spot I might even think I'm imaging things and leave it alone.

Just because you see water running out at one location don't concentrate only on that area.
I had a leak in my pool where the water was leaking out from under my pool just to the right of my pump.
Come to find out the leak was on the exact opposite end from the leak caused by my ladder.
As far as finding this I had a guy at my work that did pool work on the side. When he cam to look for my hole he immediately went to my ladder area and started his search.

IF you are convinced you have a leak, and you cannot find it with dye, you should be able to find a leak finding company. They can locate a leak sonically (they listen for it with underwater mics). Unfortunately the equipment is very expensive, so its not something you are going to buy for yourself, and I have never seen a rental place that has it.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.