We recently acquired a house that came with an Splash Brand Omega 20 pool. This pool holds 9000 gallons according to the website:
it has a 75gpm pump and uses a Cartridge based filter system, possibly a bad PSI gauge.
Being North Dakota, it can get beastly cold so I am looking for info on how to properly winterize this pool, based on questions I have come up with from reading the TFP guide.
So lets get it going!
1. Drain water to 6" below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed.
On this pool, I see the return line from the filter as well as the part where the water goes into the pump / filter combo which is described in the manual as the intake, and there is a area that is plugged probably 6 to 12 inches (maybe a bit more, memory here) above it which from the manual is the skimmer hold down. The manual says to drain below the Return Fitting, should I go with that or the skimmer opening that is plugged?
2. Skimmer/return plugs or "gizmos" may be installed or they may be left open - this is a personal choice for each pool owner
What exactly are "gizmos" and what exactly do they do and there advantages / disadvantages?
3. A polyquat algaecide may be administered per dosing instructions on product (optional.) Distribute evenly with brush, leaf rake or leaf skimmer.
- What is a specific algaecide recommended?
- What should be looked for / avoided in a chemical list for an algaecide?
- When can this be applied exactly (not sure if what was listed was in order)?
4. Drain filters/pump well and remove pump, hoses and fittings. Inspect all items for evidence of damage or excessive wear and plan to order replacements before spring.
- When draining a Catridge based filter, what is the best method? (stand upside down, etc) and how long?
- Also, any use in storing these say indoors where its temp controlled or is that over kill?
5. Remove muti-port/spider gasket. Smaller fittings, hardware and filter drain plugs can be stored inside pump pot basket - lube pump pot basket with silicone lube. Remaining pump hardware can be placed inside gallon zip-lock bag and taped to side of pump.
Looking in the manual for the pool, I don't see something described this way but could be wrong? In this case, anyone have any ideas?
6. If using a winter cover, install per manufacturers instructions (i.e., pillows and anchoring)
- For this, what exactly is the difference between say a specific "winter cover" versus a cover? Reason I ask is the previous owner mentioned they go through covers (and others in the area) in like 1 year like its common. But I think its not a true "winter" cover.
- I have heard of a cover that lets water seap through or something to that affect, is there one such as that and thoughts on it?
- I also noticed that there are these metal "plates" around the permitter of the pool as if it was used to strap to. anyone know what these are? (I will post a pic later when I get the chance)
- Are there a particular brand of pillows to use that are good? I have heard of people using inner tubes and filled (or not?) empty bleach bottles, any info on that?
7. Pool Antifreeze:
- What do you recommend for a specific brand and / or stuff to look for in the ingredients?
- We have an algae problem due to I believe CYA high levels, does it pay to clean and refill now or just due it after winterization and in the spring?
I appologize for all the questions, I am trying to figure all this out in a quick timeframe as I figure by mid or so September we will start this winterization process, heck, probably won't get in the pool at all it looks like due to the issues