To prime or not to prime?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I feel like my questions are very basic, but I trust the advice I get here more than what they'll tell me at the pool store, so here goes!

I have a Hayward single-speed 1.5 hp Super Pump. On the body of the pump it says "Self-priming", but on the semi-transparent lid over the basket it says "Fill with water before starting pump." That seems like a contradiction to me, but I know nothing about pumps. Should I pour a bucket of water in there after cleaning out the basket before restarting the pump? The guy from the pool store said not to, but that was before I noticed what's written on the lid. What does "self-priming" mean?

I don't clean the pump basket often, but I feel like I should check it every other week or so to see if there's any debris in there.

You really should not have to add water if you were just cleaning it because the basket will be mostly full already. If the pump fully primes within a minute or so then you're fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.