Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To prime or not to prime?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape May Court House, NJ

To prime or not to prime?

I feel like my questions are very basic, but I trust the advice I get here more than what they'll tell me at the pool store, so here goes!

I have a Hayward single-speed 1.5 hp Super Pump. On the body of the pump it says "Self-priming", but on the semi-transparent lid over the basket it says "Fill with water before starting pump." That seems like a contradiction to me, but I know nothing about pumps. Should I pour a bucket of water in there after cleaning out the basket before restarting the pump? The guy from the pool store said not to, but that was before I noticed what's written on the lid. What does "self-priming" mean?

I don't clean the pump basket often, but I feel like I should check it every other week or so to see if there's any debris in there.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: To prime or not to prime?

You really should not have to add water if you were just cleaning it because the basket will be mostly full already. If the pump fully primes within a minute or so then you're fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!